Default Winter "work" gloves for DH?

DH needs a pair of very warm, but durable winter gloves. He needs to wear them while snowblowing, and using the snowblower has really ripped up a couple pairs of his past gloves. I did get him some winter work gloves a couple years ago but they were not warm enough. Any recs?? don't care about cost at this point, just warmth and durability.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My husband finally found something that works. He uses these woolen mitten inserts inside these waterproof shell mittens. (Oh sorry, they're called "mitts" for men, not mittens, LOL.) He's searched for years for something warm and dry for hours of snowblowing and shoveling, and this combo works. I wish I could wear wool, because I need a solution, too!

ETA: He typically wears XL gloves, but has both of these in L.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I bought these for DH for chopping and lugging firewood:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60315...-chopper-mitts

These look good too:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70787...id=57704126960

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DH and I picked up a pair of winter work gloves by Wells Lamont at Costco. They are made similar to this style, but with brown fabrics instead of black and HydraHide leather. I wore these gloves yesterday in single digit/sub-zero windchill temps for nearly two hours while snowblowing and shoveling.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

My DH uses a pair of thinsulate lined leather gloves made by red wing shoes. They are certainly sturdy but I'd have to ask him about warmth. I know the leather can get wet (maybe we need to recondition it) but I don't know if that transfers to his hands at all. To me the biggest downside is that the wrists aren't tight at all--I suppose tucking them in to something would help. I wore them down to the bus stop this afternoon when I somehow displaced my gloves in the ten feet between the coat closet and the stroller and the finger portion did seem warm and wind proof.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

kcimato is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elliput View Post
    My DH and I picked up a pair of winter work gloves by Wells Lamont at Costco. They are made similar to this style, but with brown fabrics instead of black and HydraHide leather. I wore these gloves yesterday in single digit/sub-zero windchill temps for nearly two hours while snowblowing and shoveling.
    On one of my photography forums the other day someone asked about gloves for the winter. A member from Alaska recommended these gloves from Walmart also.

Thanks, several pairs to look at! Keep the suggestions coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duluth Trading Company has nice gloves and a nice return policy. DH, DS#1, and I have gloves from there and they have held up well over the years. I've had mine for about 3 year now and I'm just thinking it might be time to replace them.
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08