Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint?

Anyone used this? I am painting a piece of furniture and someone highly recommended this paint. Apparently you don't need to prime with this paint? I would love to hear feedback on whether this paint is really that good.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've used it, and I really like it. It is true that you don't need to prime. I used the Provence color to cover a hutch that was stained a bright, almost-orange color, and two coats covered perfectly. It is time consuming to wax your piece after painting, but it's not too bad.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've used a similar chalk paint from a different brand. Definitely do not need to prime. I really like it, but it is a two step process, you do need to wax it after you paint. Or if it is a very high use item, you will want to seal it instead. Also, the paint lends itself to things that have more of a distressed finish. If you are looking for a modern glossy finish, it's the wrong product.

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    I've used it, and I really like it. It is true that you don't need to prime. I used the Provence color to cover a hutch that was stained a bright, almost-orange color, and two coats covered perfectly. It is time consuming to wax your piece after painting, but it's not too bad.
    I was thinking about the provence color. Is it more peacock like or more sea blue?

Lovin2shop, I am going to distress this dresser, so that's good to know!

It's a sea blue, but kind of darker. It's hard to explain -- some blues are very clear, as if they're backed by a bright white. To me, they bring to mind water. The Annie Sloan seems like its background color is darker. I get less of an oceany vibe from it, if that makes sense. That said, we have the hutch in a sea-blue room and it blends nicely.

kmkaull is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I use it often. I found Provence a little bright, so I mixed it with some white. Try a sample if you're not sure on color. Great stuff, but do some reading about waxing. I don't wax very often... it's a pain and our lifestyle requires items with a better protective coat.

Where did you guys buy the paint? There is a list of retailers on their website--is that where you went or is it available at Home Depot or Lowes?

I bought mine at a little junk shop near my ILs' house. I happened to be browsing in there one day and the owner was telling another customer how she'd just become an Annie Sloan dealer. I was sold the moment she said "no priming."

I did eventually order supplies from an online business called the Painted Purple Lady (http://www.thepurplepaintedlady.com/). She was really great because she sends instructions along with her products and IIRC, was very responsive to emails and phone calls when I had questions.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kmkaull View Post
    I use it often. I found Provence a little bright, so I mixed it with some white. Try a sample if you're not sure on color. Great stuff, but do some reading about waxing. I don't wax very often... it's a pain and our lifestyle requires items with a better protective coat.
    What do you use as a protective coat instead of wax?
    D, married to B, momma to DD1 (7/08) and DD2 (8/10)

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just make sure you like the look of it once it's done. They are quite matte colors. I think they are pretty but needs to be the look you are going for. I looked into it as well but decided to use something else since I wanted a slightly fancier look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast