Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    kmkaull is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
    What do you use as a protective coat instead of wax?
    I usually use Minwax water based Poly. Here's a good read that helps with the wax/no wax decision:
    http://paintedvintage.com/to-wax-or-not-to-wax/

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Just make sure you like the look of it once it's done. They are quite matte colors. I think they are pretty but needs to be the look you are going for. I looked into it as well but decided to use something else since I wanted a slightly fancier look.
    I've done two chalk painted items (my kids' beds), I didn't use Anne Sloan though. My daughter's is a lot glossier. I did extra wax layers and buffed it really well. My son's is more matte, I only did a couple layers of wax on his.

I used a DIY chalk paint recipe that used plaster of paris. Mixed it well with a drill bit mixer deal. It works great! You could probably up the shine by choosing the base paint in something with some gloss and adjusting the plaster of paris amount.

My daughter's bed was a SMOOTH finish IKEA Hermnes. I was stunned I didn't need to sand/prime. The first coat of paint, I was doubtful, but by the second coat I was in love. I made her paint mixture slightly runny so you can just barely see the grain of the wood. I love love love it. My son's I did some slight distressing and left it more matte. I also melted in some enamel paint with the wax to give it a deeper feel (his paint was a very dark charcoal).

I'm a fan.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    I've done two chalk painted items (my kids' beds), I didn't use Anne Sloan though. My daughter's is a lot glossier. I did extra wax layers and buffed it really well. My son's is more matte, I only did a couple layers of wax on his.

I used a DIY chalk paint recipe that used plaster of paris. Mixed it well with a drill bit mixer deal. It works great! You could probably up the shine by choosing the base paint in something with some gloss and adjusting the plaster of paris amount.

My daughter's bed was a SMOOTH finish IKEA Hermnes. I was stunned I didn't need to sand/prime. The first coat of paint, I was doubtful, but by the second coat I was in love. I made her paint mixture slightly runny so you can just barely see the grain of the wood. I love love love it. My son's I did some slight distressing and left it more matte. I also melted in some enamel paint with the wax to give it a deeper feel (his paint was a very dark charcoal).

I'm a fan.
    Ohhh, I might be super tempted to paint DS2's Hemnes daybed then!! They discontinued the brown/black finish just before we decided to get it, so we went with the white one. Just what DH will want to hear, that I have another project
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    Ohhh, I might be super tempted to paint DS2's Hemnes daybed then!! They discontinued the brown/black finish just before we decided to get it, so we went with the white one. Just what DH will want to hear, that I have another project
    I adore it, I really do. We'd wanted a faux wrought iron bed they used to have, but they discontinuted that a week prior to our making it up to an IKEA.

The Hemnes was on uber-clearance because it was an really odd color that I don't think they did for too long. It is that smooth cheapy furniture finish, so I figured painting it would be a nightmare! But it ended up being awesome. She picked a super cool raspberry color that works well with her brown/black Expedit. It makes me smile everytime I look at it. It really is a nice finish, it looks "factory", not "painted in my basement with a weird recipe off the internet".

We built my son's bed with a hodgepodge of wood pieces. After I was so pleased with by daughter's new bed, I started hating his original bed, lol. He also has an IKEA black/brown piece in his room and his chalk painted homemade bed looks really complimentary with it.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I recently came across a blog that provides great tutorials and pictures on how she gets a Restoration Hardware finish on furniture using Annie Sloan paint. Here she discusses how to achieve the look with an Ikea dresser http://www.imeeshu.com/2014/02/25/pa...rdware-finish/. For further info look down the right side of the blog at "Top Posts", which provides links to great posts with info on various finishes.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3isEnough View Post
    I recently came across a blog that provides great tutorials and pictures on how she gets a Restoration Hardware finish on furniture using Annie Sloan paint. Here she discusses how to achieve the look with an Ikea dresser http://www.imeeshu.com/2014/02/25/pa...rdware-finish/. For further info look down the right side of the blog at "Top Posts", which provides links to great posts with info on various finishes.
    Love this!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2