khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Pinewood derby car help - pinstriping!

DH is building DS's first pinewood derby car. He wants to put some pinstripes on it. Is there anything I can buy at Michaels to make this easier than handpainting? Like stickers? The car is a glossy red and he would like white pinstripes.

Thanks!
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know about pinstripes specifically, but last year our Michael's had a whole section of Pinewood Derby supplies--paint kits, stickers, extra wheels (not allowed in our Pack, but maybe others allow them?), and I don't even remember what else.

You might also try your local Boy Scout Shop, if you have one.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm sure you could probably find something in her craft section that you could use to stick on. DH always just tapes off using the blue painter tape. It takes him about 30 mins to tape and paint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can buy graphic art tape at office depot and possibly Michaels but the problem is that it is hard to find in white. Here is a link to 1/16" white tape through Amazon but they also have 1/8" tape. You may have more luck at a specialty art supply store. Or check out a hobby store for remote control type stuff like model trains, cars, that sort of thing to see what options they have. I don't know if your time frame allows for ordering but if it doesn't, I would consider either trying to talk my child into loving the black strips that are easier to find (Office Depot for example) or taping off strips and painting. Another option is the pinstripe tape they sell at automotive stores. But my quick google search shows that it comes on 40' rolls so it is more expensive and then you've got 39' of pinstripe tape left over.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Rub on decals at Michaels or hobby lobby. We have also found printable rub on transfers. Clear coat over any rub one to hold them on.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    I don't know about pinstripes specifically, but last year our Michael's had a whole section of Pinewood Derby supplies--paint kits, stickers, extra wheels (not allowed in our Pack, but maybe others allow them?), and I don't even remember what else.

You might also try your local Boy Scout Shop, if you have one.
    Anything from the Scout Shop should be allowed, but watch what you get at Michael's/Hobby Lobby. The decorative stuff Sariana listed are ok (and the weights, but be careful you may need to recess the weights if put under the car) but don't buy the car body there. Pretty sure our Scout Shop sells District-allowed decorative wheels. Our Pack follows the District rules so our winners can move on to the District level.

DH had DS use painter's tape for adding stripes to one of his cars. DS has also free-handed it before. Our pack gives out awards for design such as "most likely made by a scout," "patriotic," "least car-like" and "raciest" which move the focus from perfection to vision.

DS won patriotic last year and raciest this year; I "won" best Parent design for my minion car but they don't hand out actual awards to the parents.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    DH is building DS's first pinewood derby car. He wants to put some pinstripes on it. Is there anything I can buy at Michaels to make this easier than handpainting? Like stickers? The car is a glossy red and he would like white pinstripes.

Thanks!

Michael's might have it. You can even just use acrylic paint from wal-mart. We went to Hobby Town USA and they had an entire aisle of BSA approved Pinewood Derby stuff (including more wood blocks to start over, wheels, axles, etc).