Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mjs64 View Post
    Wow! 2-3 play dates a week and no invite? I'd be disappointed for sure. So would my DC. Hugs.
    I was thinking the same thing. I would be so hurt as well. And the fact that you live next door? I am sorry but that seems...not nice at all. Your DD sounds lovely, how wonderful that she just wants to make her friend happy with a great gift!! I admit I would feel petty and not want to give the present to her friend.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ouch!!!

I have the same questions...is she older than your DD? Was the party at a venue where space could be limited? Did the invited kids look to be of varying ages (lots of family friends/cousins who are priority invitees)? All those things could contribute...I wonder if she got invited last years because they realized they had space for one more, especially if you say there weren't a bunch of school friends there, so if your DD was the only "school friend" then I guess I'd assume neighbor kid has lots of family friends/cousins/whatever that makes bday planning tough.

I'm sorry though! That sucks!! If you already picked out the gift and your DD is excited to give it, I would absolutely still gift it.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 02-08-2015 at 02:59 PM.

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We've had issues in the past with inviting a big group of girls that all know each other except for one or two. Now we just stick to only friends from class, or only neighborhood friends, but not a mix. Because of that, we've left out some of DD's best friends! But if we invited every girl from every group, it would a huge party. Maybe it's something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would hurt my feelings, too. Since your daughter wants to give the gift, I would let her. But I admit, the next time I saw the mom, I would probably mention that I saw the party pictures on Facebook and tell her that it looks like the party was a lot of fun. I would want to know how the mom would respond.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

And this why I don't post party pics on FB! I am soooo glad I am getting past large party phase. Gaaahhhh, the things they don't tell you about in you prenatal visits! Forget about whether you are going to go natural or epidural or if you are going to BF or cloth diaper. Birthday parties, that's what they need to talk about! Much more traumatic. And I am NOT being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    And this why I don't post party pics on FB! I am soooo glad I am getting past large party phase. Gaaahhhh, the things they don't tell you about in you prenatal visits! Forget about whether you are going to go natural or epidural or if you are going to BF or cloth diaper. Birthday parties, that's what they need to talk about! Much more traumatic. And I am NOT being sarcastic.
    I know you're being serious, but this just made me laugh!!! How right you are.

OP, I'm sorry!!
    spoiled wife
    mom to gregarious DS1 1/11
    mom to active DS2 5/13
    mom to DD 12/16

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gcc2k View Post
    I know you're being serious, but this just made me laugh!!! How right you are.

OP, I'm sorry!!
    Oh, I was still being funny! Or trying to. I just didn't want the OP to think I was being sarcastic. It is both painful and funny.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Exactly. I never post birthday party pics or anything of the like on FB. Would not want to hurt anyone's feelings or make anyone feel excluded. Just don't post party pics on FB!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    Exactly. I never post birthday party pics or anything of the like on FB. Would not want to hurt anyone's feelings or make anyone feel excluded. Just don't post party pics on FB!
    Even if you yourself don't post them...just wait until your friend does and tags you.

I actually don't mind at all. This is the nature of FB. If we didn't get invited to something and I see pics later, I don't let it bother me...you can't include everyone all the time.

I also wouldn't bring it up to the mom. No reason to make her feel bad about a decision that she likely didn't make lightly. Give the child the gift with a smile and call it done.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This reminds me of a swim-birthday party my DD was invited to last year. I've known the dad forever and his parents and I've become good friends with the mom. Their youngest daughter went to preschool with our DD and they really hit it off. After that first year of preschool they switched their DD to a different school. The girls now rarely see each other but they invited us to the birthday party anyway. Well I didn't know any of the other parents at the party (who all knew each other) and DD didn't know any of the other girls. Fortunately my DD is funny and can find a way to fit in anywhere and by the end of the party she OWNED the birthday girl. But I was nervous for most of the party that she would feel left out.

I mention this because I thought it might help you feel better. Hugs to you and your daughter.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast