Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

WOW! I'm the 484th request for one of 176 copies of this in our library system. Talk about a popular book! Maybe I'll get a chance to read it the summer of 2016!
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think they talked about it on the NPR show Here and Now. It was an interesting conversation. It didn't inspire me to follow the decluttering plan though . Link http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/12/0...o-westmoreland

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rlu View Post
    I haven't read this book so grain of salt, but why change what is working for you? When I read self-help books or blogs (orgjunkie is a fav) I take what is useful to me and leave the rest.
    I think organizing brings out the "good girl" in me that wants to follow the rules! You give me confidence that it's ok to bend them
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    eta: with respect to drawers, I still hang a large # of items, fold my sweaters as I always have, fold my jeans, and then my dresser has underthings, workout wear, tee shirts, and loungewear. That works fine for me. I had switched over to folding things and placing them vertically prior to reading her book (just picked that idea up from other sources and found it worked well for me), so that wasn't much of a change. I have tried to stop de-balling my socks :P That's how I grew up, so that's still my default sometimes
    Do you put any sort of divider in your drawers or do the clothes stand up well on their own?

I have to confess that I didn't entirely understand how she was recommends to fold socks. I even tried finding a YouTube video
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I read this about a month ago and really liked it, though I lost steam on purging over the holidays. Some of the stuff that seems really out there is cultural differences, I think - Shintoism, among others, and some assumptions about how houses are laid out. It is definitely a book written for a Japanese audience, though applicable to everyone.

I think I will reread parts before embarking on the next purge too, it's a very quick read in general.

My clothes seem to stand up pretty well on their own if they're folded as she says. I wear mostly wool socks and lots of knee highs, so I fold them in half, if small, 2 or 3 times if taller and stand on the edge - the main idea I believe is to have them in a rectangular shape. I keep them in some clear plastic fridge bins I got at the container store because otherwise they don't stay folded, since wool socks are kind of springy.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by aa2mama View Post
    Do you put any sort of divider in your drawers or do the clothes stand up well on their own?

I have to confess that I didn't entirely understand how she was recommends to fold socks. I even tried finding a YouTube video
    I have a few dividers and even larger shoe boxes, and that works for me. My tee shirts are in there with no divider, but they are up against several long and narrow containers I use for socks (dollar store I think?). I roll up yoga/workout tights in a different drawer and roll up tank tops/camisoles. Workout tanks and shorts are folded or rolled in a plastic shoe box (they seem too slippery to fold and "file" vertically like I do my tee shirts).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just finished reading it Friday after seeing it recommended in this thread. Loved it! DH and I have been in a cycle of purging every couple of years but it has never been ruthless enough. we were snowed in Saturday so I went back through my clothes which I just did a month ago but there was still a big pile of stuff I pulled out. I'm trying to get through craft things now and would love to talk about this book more! I really want DH to read it. He started to get a little frustrated this weekend when I was putting "perfectly good stuff" in the discard pile

Quote Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
    WOW! I'm the 484th request for one of 176 copies of this in our library system. Talk about a popular book! Maybe I'll get a chance to read it the summer of 2016!
    We'll have to race. I'm 216th on 36 copies. Maybe I'll finally have to figure out how to use my no-rush shipping credits on Amazon.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I started it over the weekend. So far, it's interesting. I'm maybe 1/4 through.
    Kris

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    We'll have to race. I'm 216th on 36 copies. Maybe I'll finally have to figure out how to use my no-rush shipping credits on Amazon.
    They're automatically applied whenever you make a digital purchase

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast