Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just finished the paper category last night! I'm really starting to see major progress. Fewer clothes in my closet has made it easier to get ready in the mornings and my closets and cabinets can breathe. So far DH hasn't helped but he thinks everything is "mine." To be fair I do 99% of the shopping so he's kind of right. I'd love to talk about it more! This book really is life changing!!!
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Here are some things I would like to discuss:

So, I've finished my clothes and papers and books. Next would be kimono items so I'm taking that to mean everything that's left except for personal notes and photos? I've gone through the kitchen, dining room, living room, and family room. I have another room we use as a school room and my craft things are in there. I've pulled about 1/2 to 2/3 of my craft items out to discard but still have several hours I need to spend in that room. I know she doesn't advocate going room by room, but at this point I'm trying to think through categories, so by finishing the school room I will have craft things and school things done. After the school room is done, I will have the kids' toys left and holiday decorations in our storage room. I moved all personal notes and photos to one place and will go through those when everything else is done.

While I *know* I have done a lot of sorting, I don't feel the total weight gone because the things I'm discarding are sitting in a pile waiting for the weather to warm up enough to garage sale. It's kind of making me crazy.

Also, I've decided I can't take on my kids things in their rooms - their clothing, their books, etc. So, I've encouraged them to go through their rooms and we change their closet out every season and I feel like that's the best it's going to be right now.

As I mentioned upthread, DH hasn't read the book so he doesn't understand my "ruthlessness" with this sorting. It frustrates him to see things we've spent money on going out of the house - things we may "someday" need or things that are still functional - knowing we won't get that money back when selling. She totally addresses that in the book and I agree with her. DH is like the mother in the book she warns us about, LOL. I've told him I feel suffocated by the excess and need to pare down. I'm going through a rough patch emotionally so controlling the things I own and paring them down is making me happy.

I would estimate I have three to four solid days of work to get through everything and be done. Sounds kind of daunting with three kids, homeschooling, etc but I am determined!

Totally in the mood to do this but am number 92 on the library list for it! If I jump in and do my clothes now, anything I need to know besides "keep it only if you love it"? Already wondering about those items that I need but don't necessarily love...

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AbbysMom View Post
    Totally in the mood to do this but am number 92 on the library list for it! If I jump in and do my clothes now, anything I need to know besides "keep it only if you love it"? Already wondering about those items that I need but don't necessarily love...
    You are supposed to gather all your clothes from everywhere in teh house and pile them up in the middle of the room. So, your closet, dresser, coat closet, etc. You can divide by category. But, you aren't supposed to sort them inside the closet. You should touch everything and ask if it sparks joy. If it does, you should keep. If not, you should thank it for its service and throw away. There are then specific ways to fold items to put them away. Shirts go vertically in a drawer. Skirts and dresses in the closet. Socks have feelings and don't like to balled up, so they get folded as well.

I just finished reading this chapter. I haven't done it yet, but I did fold DD's pants and put them in her drawer vertically. I'm not sure she would hang them up, so that probably won't work for her. She doesn't have enough drawers to put all her shirts in one.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by firstbaby View Post
    Here are some things I would like to discuss:

So, I've finished my clothes and papers and books. Next would be kimono items so I'm taking that to mean everything that's left except for personal notes and photos? I've gone through the kitchen, dining room, living room, and family room. I have another room we use as a school room and my craft things are in there. I've pulled about 1/2 to 2/3 of my craft items out to discard but still have several hours I need to spend in that room. I know she doesn't advocate going room by room, but at this point I'm trying to think through categories, so by finishing the school room I will have craft things and school things done. After the school room is done, I will have the kids' toys left and holiday decorations in our storage room. I moved all personal notes and photos to one place and will go through those when everything else is done.

While I *know* I have done a lot of sorting, I don't feel the total weight gone because the things I'm discarding are sitting in a pile waiting for the weather to warm up enough to garage sale. It's kind of making me crazy.

Also, I've decided I can't take on my kids things in their rooms - their clothing, their books, etc. So, I've encouraged them to go through their rooms and we change their closet out every season and I feel like that's the best it's going to be right now.

As I mentioned upthread, DH hasn't read the book so he doesn't understand my "ruthlessness" with this sorting. It frustrates him to see things we've spent money on going out of the house - things we may "someday" need or things that are still functional - knowing we won't get that money back when selling. She totally addresses that in the book and I agree with her. DH is like the mother in the book she warns us about, LOL. I've told him I feel suffocated by the excess and need to pare down. I'm going through a rough patch emotionally so controlling the things I own and paring them down is making me happy.

I would estimate I have three to four solid days of work to get through everything and be done. Sounds kind of daunting with three kids, homeschooling, etc but I am determined!
    Yes kimono is next. I joined a Facebook group called Konmari Adventures and it has been helpful too. They have a list you can download of all the categories that is much more specific than the book. I'll try to post it later when I'm on my laptop .

Quote Originally Posted by AbbysMom View Post
    You'll have a much clearer picture of the process if you read the book first. Not to discourage you from jumping right in but you'll probably want to do it over after you read the book.

Here's the list category list (sorry so long)

CLOTHING: (Adult and/or Child):

• Tops
    • Bottoms
    • Dresses
    • Outerwear
    • Socks
    • Underwear
    • Bags/Purses
    • Accessories/Belts/Hats/Jewelry
    • Gym/Swim/Costumes/Events
    • Shoes

BOOKS:

• General (Pleasure reading)
    • Cookbooks
    • Phone Books
    • Visual (Photo-type books)
    • Magazines
    • Reference Books (Dictionaries, etc.)
    • Children’s Fiction
    • Children’s School/Non-Fiction Books

PAPERS:

• Warranties/Manuals
    • Pay Stubs
    • Bills/Statements/Notices
    • Insurance Documents
    • Birth/Marriage Certificates
    • Court Paperwork
    • Taxes
    • Notes from Lectures
    • Loose Recipes
    • Coupons
    • Used Checkbooks
    • Business Cards

• Greeting Cards
    • Gift Wrap and Tissue
    • Thank-You Notes

KOMONO:

Office/Craft:

• Spare Change
    • Credit Cards
    • Rewards Cards
    • Envelopes
    • Bubble Wrap
    • Mailing Boxes
    • Filing Cabinets
    • Binders and planners
    • Journals and Notebooks
    • Notepads
    • Hole Punches
    • Calendars
    • Clip Boards
    • Folders/Page Covers
    • Label Makers
    • Shredders

• Staplers and Staples
    • Rubber Bands
    • Paper Clips
    • Binder Clips
    • Tacks
    • Labels
    • Pens
    • Pencils/Lead
    • Erasers/White-Out
    • Markers
    • Tape
    • Stickers

• Music Players
    • CDs
    • Electronic Cords
    • Empty Electronic Boxes
    • Electronic Components
    • Phone Accessories
    • Spare Cords
    • Computer Programs
    • Computer Peripherals
    • Email Subscriptions

• Misc. Craft Supplies
    • Scrapbook Paper
    • Yarn and Tools
    • Fabric
    • Thread
    • Pins
    • Scissors
    • Buttons
    • Felt
    • Magnets
    • Jewelry/Beading/Wire
    • Embroidery
    • Zippers
    • Glues
    • Kid’s craft supplies

• Kitchen:

• Paper Bags
    • Plastic Bags
    • Reusable Shopping Bags
    • Zip Top/Fold top Bags
    • Storage Containers
    • Lids
    • Disposable Dishes
    • Paper Towels/Napkins

• House Plants
    • Seeds/Cuttings

• Pots and Pans
    • Cutting boards
    • Casserole Dishes
    • Steamer Baskets
    • Mixing Bowls

• Baking pans/tins
    • Baking Utensils
    • Baking Accessories (candles, sprinkles)
    • Racks

• Coffee Mugs
    • Thermo Cups
    • Glasses
    • Stemware
    • Water Bottles
    • Plates and Bowls
    • Serving Utensils
    • Knives
    • Silverware

• Cooking Utensils
    • Small Appliances
    • Canning Equipment
    • Canning Jars/Lids/Rings

• Dish Towels
    • Kitchen Rags
    • Hot Pad Holders/Trivets
    • Sponges/Scrubbers
    • Cleaning Supplies
    • Pest Control

Pantry:

• Spices
    • Flours
    • Additions (Gums/starches)
    • Canned Products
    • Boxed Products
    • Whole Grains
    • Candies
    • Oils
    • Wines/Liquors
    • Condiments
    • Vinegars
    • Teas
    • Coffees
    • Sweeteners
    • Beans
    • Rice

Utility Room:

• Tools
    • Screws and Fasteners
    • Keys
    • Extension Cords
    • Locks
    • Lighters
    • Matches
    • Tape
    • Lightbulbs
    • Batteries

Living Room:

• DVD Players
    • DVDs/BluRays
    • Video Games
    • Video Game systems
    • Board Games/Puzzles
    • Collections
    • Decorations/Knick-Knacks
    • Empty Frames/Albums
    • Candles/Holders

Children’s Room:

• Building Toys
    • Dolls/Figures (dinosaurs, superheros)
    • Reality toys (Kitchen Sets, Tool Benches)
    • Weapons, Shields, Light Sabres
    • Costumes/Makeup
    • Balls/Marbles
    • Vehicles (doll stroller/diecast cars)
    • Models

• Musical Instruments
    • Carriers (Slings, etc.)
    • Bath Toys

Bathroom/Laundry Room:

• Bath Towels
    • Hand Towels
    • Washcloths
    • Linens, blankets, pillows
    • Laundry soaps
    • Fabric Softeners
    • Starches
    • Baskets
    • Irons/Ironing Boards
    • Dyes

• First aid products
    • Vitamins/Supplements
    • Pain Relievers
    • Medications

• Hair Products
    • Hair Decor
    • Hair pins/ties
    • Hair Irons
    • Hair Rollers
    • Brushes/Combs/Picks
    • Shower Caps

• Perfume
    • Makeup
    • Makeup Bags
    • Makeup Brushes
    • Feminine Products

• Air Fresheners
    • Cleaning Supplies
    • Cleaning Rags

• Nail Care (Pumice, files, etc.)
    • Nail Polish
    • Nail Polish Remover
    • Nail Appliances (Dryers, etc.)
    • Nail Clippers

• Trial or Sample Products
    • Spray Bottles

• Razors and Blades
    • Trimmers
    • Tweezers
    • Shaving Creams
    • Lotions
    • Liquid and Bar Soaps
    • Skin care products
    • Moisturizers

• Toothbrushes
    • Tooth Paste
    • Floss
    • Mouthwash

• Hydrogen Peroxide
    • Rubbing Alcohol
    • Witch Hazel

Animals:

• Dishes
    • Toys/Balls
    • Collars/Leashes
    • Kennels/Beds/Towers
    • Treats/Food
    • Bedding
    • First Aid/Care
    • Medication

Sentimental Items:

• Pictures and Albums
    • Completed Scrapbooks
    • Other

That is a great list. Thanks for posting!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

-laughing-

Because of this thread, I went to my library's website to request it. I put "life-changing magic" into the search window.. and one (of 6) results I got was "What to expect when you're expecting". Well.... yes, life-changing magic, but that wasn't what I was looking for!

Looking forward to reading this!

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    -laughing-

Because of this thread, I went to my library's website to request it. I put "life-changing magic" into the search window.. and one (of 6) results I got was "What to expect when you're expecting". Well.... yes, life-changing magic, but that wasn't what I was looking for!

Looking forward to reading this!
    That's too funny!

I *just* got my copy from the library. Been looking at YT videos and joined a FB group about it. Eager to read the book.
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast