Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Peek at gender results before DH? Find out together? WWYD?

Since I am high risk, I got to do the DNA blood testing today even though I am 31. (Yay to some benefit to the shots in my stomach every day!)

My OB's office said the nurses don't tell gender over the phone, they will write it and have you come get it. (They will tell me all is well for the genetic testing or there are concerns, over the phone, although from experience when I had a bad quad screen they probably would hedge and have my OB call.) We are less than 10 min away so no big deal.

DH totally doesn't care either way. He wouldn't even care if I find out over the phone without him home.

Will have results supposedly in 5-7 days. Definitely have no interest in keeping this a surprise.

Would you open the envelope together or peek in advance so
    #1- I don't go INSANE with the envelope sitting there while I wait for him to get home from work. (I could possibly have him come home early so I don't have to wait as long to find out but I really really don't know if my willpower is even that strong. Secrets are hard!)

#2- If I peek in advance, I can go get some pink or blue balloons or something, to greet him with when he gets home. (And if I decide to peek and do something cutesy for him, I won't say anything about having/getting the results in advance so it will be slightly more of a surprise.)

We won't give the results to someone else (first) to get both of us balloons or whatever, not patient enough for that.

WWYD?
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I vote for option 3: call him & then open the phone. You find out together, but you don't have to wait until he gets home.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Congrats!

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I vote 2 or 3. I actually didn't realize that gender was found with those DNA blood tests until ds2. The nurse called me to tell me the results and asked if I wanted to know the gender....I was caught off guard but found out. I just called Dh right away and told him (truth be told we were way more interested in the fact that the baby was healthy....the gender was very secondary in that moment...almost an afterthought to us!).
    Last edited by scrooks; 02-10-2015 at 05:17 PM.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

I would look and then surprise DH when he gets home. Then again, I found out I was pregnant with our third a couple of days before DH's birthday and waited till his birthday to tell him because we had found out on his birthday 6 years earlier than we were expecting our first. It was too perfect. It was *hard* to keep that secret, but I think it was worth it.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

His work is a govt classified/secure environment so they aren't allowed cell phones and really frown on personal calls except emergencies. (Ironically we mostly message through fb during the day which seems way less secure to me but whatever.

Obviously I am leaning towards peeking!

We aren't too worried about the genetic reasons BC I am only 31 and the only reason I was even offered it is BC my pregnancies are high risk (for preeclampsia and uterine rupture...not really anything genetic, thankfully at least.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would peek and tell him when he got home!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I like #2 as long as he will ok with you knowing before him.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Look and surprise! Just make sure it's obvious, lol!

With our first, we were at the ultrasound together, but they couldn't get a good enough look to gender. At the end, the tech had to go clear the results w/ the radiologist, but told me if I got up, jumped around, etc. when she got back she'd try one more time for me. DH couldn't stay (had to get back to work), so I found out by myself, then surprised him that night by giving him a really girly onesie that said "I love my Daddy" on it. The reason I say to "just make sure it's obvious" is that he didn't catch the gender from what I did! (It was a white onesie, but it had ruffles on all the edges, and all the writing was in pink or purple, with flowers and hearts all over it....) I still give him a hard time for that!

I'm going to find out for our second by myself, too, because DH isn't going to be able to make it to the ultrasound. I plan on either buying colored helium balloons and putting them in a box that DH and DD can open together at home that night, or baking cupcakes that are colored inside but frosted white (I'm totally obsessed with gender reveal cakes even though I would never have a gender reveal party!).

I never regretted not finding out "together" with DD ... DH is less emotive than I am, so half the time when it's these big "surprise" moments I'm disappointed with his reaction anyways....so sometimes finding out alone is fine for me!
    Lizi

If he's okay with you peeking, I'd peek and do a fun surprised. They told me over the phone and then I called DH.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast