Thread: iphone 6 advice

suzi is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default iphone 6 advice

Currently have 4S via Verizon with grandfathered unlimited data plan. Phone upgrade with them will take the data away. DH and our sitter have phones with finite data plan. Verizon rep reviewed my/our usage and proposed a phone upgrade for me and new contract that would be cheaper and (apparently) cover our typical data use. I'm concerned with upgrade that we are "not insurable" for coverage with the Verizon protection people (DH had issues a couple of years back w/ early replacement x 2). If I buy a Verizon compatible phone full price elsewhere, I can keep my data. Any deals on the 6 or 6+? Perhaps I could do better just switching my line to another company. Anyone have a recommendation on another carrier?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default iphone 6 advice

Wow you got lucky because no iPhones were suppose to have grandfathered unlimited data, even the iPhone 4 with Verizon wasn't supposed to have unlimited data as Verizon supposedly ended that program a month or so before Verizon started selling iPhones in early 2011. I have a 5s now (bought in Jan., 2015) and IMHO unless you are used to using your phone for unlimited streaming of movies or music or are on the Internet 24/7 it is very hard to go through even 2 gigs of data. I never had unlimited data though so I have always known that I can't stream media all of the time. The most I have ever gone over was 1/1/2 gigs and I got the message that I had used more than half of my 2 gigs of data. I even use my phone as a gps as well and have never had an issue. I personally don't see how paying $650+ for a non contract phone is going to save you any money. My co worker though did just buy a Verizon IPhone 6 from Costco (he had unlimited data with his 2010 or 2011 Verizon Android phone, and then when he upgraded at Costco in 2012 he got someone to keep his unlimited data on that Android phone, and then he did it again last week when he bought his iPhone 6). I think you honestly just have to be able to convince someone at an authorized Verizon non Verizon B&M dealer (ie Costco or an independent store) to do it for you.

Replacement wise you can always try Apple Care or Square Trade. I bought Apple Care for my 4s (bought in 2011 on release day), but don't have it on my 5s.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-14-2015 at 02:10 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I am in the exact same boat. I don't use much data, but the thought of loosing unlimited data stinks. We have limited data on our home internet and it has been a (very expensive) nightmare.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I gave up unlimited data in order to upgrade with sprint and it is way more expensive and I have to watch it. It takes one kid watching something off wifi to blow your allowance

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default iphone 6 advice

Another reason I don't let my kids watch videos or use Pandora on my phone while we are out. I have watched a tv show or two at the gym in a billing cycle (haven't done it with my 4G 5s though) and still never went over my data.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also have an iPhone (5) with grandfathered unlimited data. My only suggestion is to buy the phone outright and activate it and port your number yourself. Don't let Verizon or Apple do it for you. I bought my 5 at Best Buy a little more than a year and a half ago.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I don't know if you know but there IS a way to keep your unlimited plan AND get contract pricing on a new phone. It sounds a little complicated so I don't know if you want to go thru the hassle of it. (Sorry if you already knew this because I think I've posted this once or twice here already).

Details in the wiki:
    http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgr...a-with-verizon

Hth!
    Kate, mama to
    2DDs and a DS

oneontheway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have unlimited data and an iPhone 6+ With T-Mobile and love it. I don't even use my iPad anymore. I found tmobile to be very reliable and less expensive.

I did exactly what Mirthful posted last week to upgrade my iPhone 4s to iPhone 6 and kept Verizon's unlimited data. Basically you transfer your upgrade to a different phone on your account (for DH and I we use my FILs). You buy the new phone on that line, activate it then transfer it back to the line with unlimited data. They can do it in the store pretty quickly. We have had unlimited from them forever this way. I don't want to go back because we use our phones A LOT! HTH

Stacy

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you compared the other plans to make sure it's competitive if you switch? I broke the screen on my iphone 5 back in December and I was eligible for an upgrade but wanted as much as I could get for my phone so we replaced the screen ($40) and traded it in for an iPhone 6. We have At&T and the customer service rep was very reluctant to let us upgrade to the 6 on our grandfathered plan (unlimited data, 200 txt messages--in 10 years we haven't gone over that, and I can't remember how many minutes for talk because we've never gone over and lose them on roll over). When I say he was reluctant, he constantly asked us if we were sure, then told us that he never does contracts and told us how much we'd spend by switching to the Next plan (which actually only *looks* like we'd save $20/month until you add in the cost of the new iPhone 6 at $33/month and then we'd be spending more and paying full price for a phone and getting a lot less data). He sent us to Wal-Mart because he said we'd save $50 by buying the 6 there--the Wal-Mart he sent us to didn't have iPhones so we went to the one that did and they only had the 16 gb. I needed the 64. So, back to AT&T where he was again, extremely reluctant to do the plan. It was infuriating. I finally got my phone upgrade, on contract, grandfathered in, and walked away wondering how much of a commission he gets from Next plan sales. Honestly, the more he tried to convince us, the more we felt it wasn't a good deal in any way, shape, or form for us.