Thread: diagnose me

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default diagnose me

For almost a year now my hip -- mainly my left hip although somewhat on my right hip -- has had periodic burning/itching. It seems to get worse with some types of unders and so I now ONLY wear 100% organic old lady unders. I am now in a flare up and I want to rip the skin off. There is a small raised rash there. I don't wear any lotion. Any ideas?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Hmmm, I think this is probably a long shot, but the burning description makes me think of nerve pain and that led me to think of shingles. I would only be one-sided and may not be severe. (DH had it and it never got that bad) I would think if it was something in the underwear it would be more wide-spread.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was thinking eczema. I have had something like that for a few years where is just flares up and seems to go away on its own. This time of year seems to make it worse, espcially with the dry winter months and hot showers. I have been putting on vaseline or aquaphor and it seems to be looking better and feeling better. Cortisone helps too, but I try not to use that too often. My problem area is on the back of my neck where you find the clothing tags. I thought it was that until I realized something else was going on (so many shirts are tagless now). It never looked like my kids eczema. I did google for pictures and realized what it was. The "itch that rashes" they call it.

Eventually I will make an appointment with a derm, but have too much going on right now.

I get periodic severe itching. It can be around seams -- more so with my bras -- but also other areas (scalp, lower legs). It is worse this time of year. Keeping up with moisturizing definitely helps. It has been suggested that it can be related to stress.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh