Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Twin Down duvet insert for kids, your thoughts?

I'm looking to purchase a duvet insert for my 4 year old. I haven't entirely made up my mind to buy a down comforter but trying to decide. They have their own room and their room is pretty cold in the winter. I have a regular comforter for older DD(6) as she tends to get hot and I think down will be too hot for her. They have PBK quilts right now but I want something more warmer.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't buy a down duvet insert for a 4 year? I'm thinking if I splurge on it she'll be able to use it for a long time. Which brands should I look out for? I'm planning on buying the duvet cover from PBT using their 20% code this week.

Or should I just buy a down alternative like this? I don't see any reviews for PBT duvet inserts.
    http://www.potterybarnkids.com/produ...edding-basics&

Land of Nod has this for $79, has good reviews.
    http://www.landofnod.com/twin-all-se...forter/s115332

TIA
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd get something you can for sure wash!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

There was a thread on here recently about duvets, and I complained there... I don't know if my kids are just weird or what, but they fail at being duvet users. My son would get tangled, so I swapped his out for a quilt. Foolishly, I bought my daughter a duvet later. It is so stinking cute! But, she's 12 and still manages to get it SO TANGLED UP. It is insane. I spent and afternoon sewing ties all around the edges. And, I mean ALL AROUND, many many ties. I put ties in the middle of it. It doesn't matter, she'll find a loose bit and tangle herself up in it.

They do have full size beds, but I'm pretty sure they'd do the same in twin beds. So, for MY kids, I'm firmly no more duvets. They can try when they are adults, but I'm over it for them!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mine have always used a down comforter with a duvet cover ever since they moved to twin beds. I like being able to wash the duvet cover when needed. We bought our down comforters from IKEA - they're very well priced for the quality, entirely washable too (stick the WHOLE thing in the washer, then dryer).

They work well for our kids. I could see them getting tangly for kids who move around A LOT in their sleep. The ties at the corners of the duvet cover are important so be sure to tie them on the corners of the comforter to keep everything in place!

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids have twin ikea down comforters that we use in winter. I just put them between their top sheet and normal bedding quilt without a duvet cover. I was them at the beginning of the season and once or so during the season and at the end of the season before storing them. Since they are twin size they fit in my washer and dryer (individually) just fine.
    They work great and keep my kids warm. I've been very happy with the quality and together with our other warmth-inducing strategies such as space heaters before bed to warm up the room, flannel sheets, and fleece pajamas my kids have not complained about being cold at all even though at night we keep our heat at 60 and my DS's room in particular probably goes down to 50 because it's an old addition with 3 exterior walls that are very poorly insulated.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 5yo uses an Ikea duvet and cover. The duvet has an artificial fill instead of down. It's great and washes very well. For this age I don't think I'd get a $$ duvet if there's any chance of potty accidents.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree with above- duvet covers were a HUGE pain and didn't work for my kids.

What I ended up with i LOVE!!!!!!

Twin colored down comforters from a garnet hill. I Bought 2, and went back for a 3rd! They are not too hot, extra soft, and I have washed it MANY times already right in my machine and dryer. We have the medium blue and tan colors.

Highly highly recommend!

The color makes it fun, and no cover to twist in.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another vote for Ikea inserts. DD has a pottery barn duvet that I got cheap at the outlet. We have a lighter insert for the summer and a big fluffy one for the winter.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Another vote for making sure it's machine washable in your machine. Don't get something have to take to dry cleaner.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Both of my girls have synthetic down inserts we bought at Macy's. Dd1's is the Calvin Klein brand, and DD2's is either Style & Company or Charter Club, I can't remember. Dd1's insert is dry clean only, but I have only had to take it to the dry cleaners once or twice. I haven't even looked at DD2's to see how to wash it. Dd1's cover is from Ikea, and Dd2's is from PBK. I would have gone with Ikea for DD2 as well, but I didn't like what they had in stock at the time. The ties are nice on the PBK one though.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast