Thread: Strep question

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Strep question

I have had a soar throat since Wed and went to doctor Friday since it wasnt going away. Rapid strep came back positive. They gave me penicillin to take 3x day for 10 days. I have taken 8 doses and dont feel any better. My throat and glands kill. Would you wait it out or go back in? I am off tomorrow was debating.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Usually it responds quickly to abx so I'd go back. Last year, DH had a case that was super slow to improve and the Dr. did steroids to help.

I would also go back. I've had strep many times and within a day of starting antibiotics the pain is gone. Hope you feel better soon!

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm debating taking my son back. He's been on abx for 8 days also and suddenly this weekend his voice is hoarse again and he is slightly fevering. Ugh. He felt like a million bucks afterward, but now at a week since he's starting to get symptoms again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Go back. It sounds like it isn't responding to the antibiotics.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I would just call and talk to a nurse. Explain the situation and ask if you can try a new med or if they want to to wait and exactly how much longer. I wouldn't go in again unless I think the diagnosis was wrong and you need to be seen.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kboyle View Post
    I'm debating taking my son back. He's been on abx for 8 days also and suddenly this weekend his voice is hoarse again and he is slightly fevering. Ugh. He felt like a million bucks afterward, but now at a week since he's starting to get symptoms again.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We've had that happen before and I do call or go back in when there is a secondary infection or if I feel like the first one is flaring again. We usually started a new course of antibiotics.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).