Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How to get DD to take a lovey?

Any tips on how to get DD2 to take/accept a lovey? The only one she wants is my hand. I ask as I sit here next to her crib at 1 am because she can't or won't put herself back to sleep. The head daycare teacher has also noted to me that DD2 has a hard time self soothing when startled or if an unfamiliar person walks into the room, etc. We have tons of soft blankie type loveys in the house and stuffed animals too but she refuses them all especially at night. She will toss them aside in frustration whenever I present them at night or nap.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Have you tried one filled with natural wool? Wool is great at picking up scents (especially familiar scents like home or from mom). Here is the one I bought for my niece and it has been her trusted lovely for years: http://www.bambolettafrocks.bigcarte.../blanket-dolls

I had similar ones for my own children. If you decide to get a wool-filled lovey, try sleeping with it close to you for a couple of nights or put it between yourself and the baby while nursing/feeding so it picks up a scent your child associates with a comforting, positive experience.

Big hugs and good luck to you and your dd. We are finally past those middle of the night interruptions but I remember the fatigue and frustration well.

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It took The Biscuit nine months to attach to his bunny. Once that happened, it was smooth sailing, but it took a lot of trial and error until one day, BAM, he fell in love with a bunny at Ikea and it was a done deal.

Hugs . . . keep trying various things . . . we ultimately ended up with the bunny plus a small Taggie blanket (which bunny now often "sleeps" under). We have two "stunt bunnies" in case something happens, but live in fear of the day that the Taggie somehow goes missing because we were not able to get a duplicate.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms B View Post
    It took The Biscuit nine months to attach to his bunny. Once that happened, it was smooth sailing, but it took a lot of trial and error until one day, BAM, he fell in love with a bunny at Ikea and it was a done deal.

Hugs . . . keep trying various things . . . we ultimately ended up with the bunny plus a small Taggie blanket (which bunny now often "sleeps" under). We have two "stunt bunnies" in case something happens, but live in fear of the day that the Taggie somehow goes missing because we were not able to get a duplicate.
    How old was he when he finally took to it? Nine months? Or older? DD2 is 13.5 months.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Following along for suggestions as well. DS will be 12 months next weeks and we have not gotten him to take a lovey yet. He likes playing with toys, but much prefers blocks/balls/cars to softer stuffed things or blankets. He sleeps well through the night and has become quite the thumb sucker, but when he gets tired or upset the only thing that will calm him is picking him up and walking with him and nursing or DH giving a bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Ds never took one. He had his pick of options, but he just never wanted any. What he has done since he was a baby was to rub some of the crib or bed sheet between his fingers until he falls asleep. He figured out a way to soothe himself!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm sorry to say that some kids just never attach to objects. Ds1 and Ds3 never did, although I worked awfully hard to make a lovey for Ds3 (tried so many things--blankets, taggies, stuffed animals, pacifiers, held it with him while nursing, slept with it myself first, etc). Ds2 picked out his lovey by 4 mo and its still going strong years later. I think its one of those things that either happens or it doesn't.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I'm sorry to say that some kids just never attach to objects. Ds1 and Ds3 never did, although I worked awfully hard to make a lovey for Ds3 (tried so many things--blankets, taggies, stuffed animals, pacifiers, held it with him while nursing, slept with it myself first, etc). Ds2 picked out his lovey by 4 mo and its still going strong years later. I think its one of those things that either happens or it doesn't.
    I'm still trying to get my 32 month old to take one. If he had one he'd be a lot easier to transition to a toddler bed. We are struggling big time here!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1 never took anything. Ds2 went through some weird attachments- a toy hammer, a toy golf club, wii manuals to name a few. He eventually settled on a toy dog.

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD1 was almost 18 mo before she took to a lovey...2 actually. By then they didn't sell that particular one anymore and ended up buying a used one at 8x the new price just to have a replacement.

DD2 was probably about 14 mo

I feel like It's one of Things that can't be forced. And it's so random what they decided to have as a lovely. Maybe you can encourage a particular one by placing with her with it for awhile?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast