Default hosting a bridal/baby combo shower?

My sister is getting married and having her second child this year (wedding is in July, baby is due September). I have offered to throw her a shower but I'm not quite sure which to do or to just make it a combo? I know etiquette-wise it's probably not "right" to combine them, but we do not have a lot of family (our mom passed away a few years ago, father not in the picture) so I don't think anyone else would and I can't afford to do two. Just not sure how to handle the gifts and wording the invitations. She has owned her own house for almost 8 years and her fiance lives with her, so I'm not really sure how many "bridally-type" gifts she would need. Her oldest son is 7 years old, so I feel like she would probably need some new baby items, especially if the baby turns out to be a girl. (I also know that she believes that every baby should have a shower even if it's small - she tried to throw me one last year when I was pregnant but I really didn't care about having one so it never happened). Anyone done this before? Can I tell her just to register at Target for whatever she needs, whether it be baby or house related? Thanks!! I really want to make this special cause I know it's going to be really hard going through all these life changes without our Mom being there.

I'd just ask her what she wanted. I've never been to a combined shower. But if you're inviting close friends, I assume they know the situation and get her an appropriate gift.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think PP has a great idea to ask her what she wants. I was also thinking you could call it a Welcome to the Family Shower and have her register at a place that has housewares and baby gear.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

She might not need or want house stuff. I don't see a problem with her registering at whatever baby store plus a more regular weddingly type store. Target is a great idea, but there is no reason to limit it if she wants something different. Another idea is Bed Bath Beyond and their baby store, whose name is escaping me now.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree to find out if she has a preference. I would not throw two showers. If you feel you can't manage a combination shower without it being weird, and your sister doesn't have a preference, I would go with the baby shower. Since it has been 7 years, there is likely lots of things that are new to the baby market or that she might want new. I don't have a problem with showers for seconds anyway, but definitely not if there is a 7 yr gap between kids. I would not likely have held onto anything for that long as far a baby gear goes. And products have changed so much in that time.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    She might not need or want house stuff. I don't see a problem with her registering at whatever baby store plus a more regular weddingly type store. Target is a great idea, but there is no reason to limit it if she wants something different. Another idea is Bed Bath Beyond and their baby store, whose name is escaping me now.
    Buy Buy Baby

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the feedback. It looks like we are going to combine it. It will be small and everyone invited is either family or close friends. My sister never even considered a combo shower and she really liked the idea. I love the idea of "Welcome to the Family".

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Aww. Glad it's gonna work out to do a combo. I'm sure you sister will be thrilled with such a sweet celebration.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012