twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Indoor winter photography help

I'm the "photographer" at our girl scouts meetings. I love to do it and I post the pics on our FB group. It's especially nice for the troop leader since she's so focused on keeping everyone focused that she doesn't get to really "see" the meetings like we do.

Anyway. My pictures are awful. I'm using a Canon T3i with a 50 mm prime lens. I chose that lens because our meetings are held in the evenings. And it's dark outside, so since they're indoor pictures I thought that the fastest lens that lets in the most light would be best.

A couple of problems I'm running into (other than space issues with this lens and the crop factor): with the aperture wide open at 1.8, it's just really hard trying to take pictures of 10 six-year-old girls who are NEVER staying still. Everything is blurry even with adequate light because of the shallow depth of field. I close the aperture to expand depth of field and of course everything comes out darker.

I've tried using flash and I honestly think that's even worse (and it's also really distracting).

After several meetings I think I'm realizing my biggest problem - the lighting inside the homes where we hold meetings. Ceiling can lights are common here and I just realized that my better pictures are the ones where the homeowner has both ceiling lights AND plenty of other "task lighting" - floor lamps, etc that give light from angles other than just down from the ceiling. My worst pictures are in homes that have just the ceiling can lights. The shadows are awful...I don't know if this is something that can be fixed (or at least improved) with my camera...does anyone have any tips? Would it be better to use the kit lens? Or is there really nothing I can do without better natural or artificial lighting?

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I feel your pain. My indoor pics are always terrible, and I also pick my 50 mm prime. I don't know how you are even getting any pics with it, though, bc I can never fit anything in the frame bc of the cropping. Anyway, my only (very amateur) suggestion is to get a nice flash that you can angle away from people, like bounce it off the ceiling etc. and use a diffuser on it. It will be much less harsh, but unfortunately still distracting. Following this thread!
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

Quote Originally Posted by barkley1 View Post
    I feel your pain. My indoor pics are always terrible, and I also pick my 50 mm prime. I don't know how you are even getting any pics with it, though, bc I can never fit anything in the frame bc of the cropping. Anyway, my only (very amateur) suggestion is to get a nice flash that you can angle away from people, like bounce it off the ceiling etc. and use a diffuser on it. It will be much less harsh, but unfortunately still distracting. Following this thread!
    Let's just say that people here have BIG HOMES in general. LOLOL. And, I take a lot of portrait-type shots, my favorites are the ones where one girl is leaning over a page while coloring, etc. Things like that. I've been taking a lot of shots from the tops of staircases too

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

what ISO are you using? for indoor pics at night, i'd use ISO of at least 1600 or so (or higher).

i would not use f-stop of 1.8 (fully open)..lowest i'd go is 2.8 or something. if the f-stop is too low then the depth of field is too shallow, esp with trying to focus on multiple kiddos. this is another reason you'd have to to go larger ISO (so enough light can get through, but don't have to have it fully open)

i would stick with prime lens for indoor photos. i have a cheapo entry-level DSLR from 2008 and i can get decent indoor pics with the 35mm prime lens. with the kit lens though (18-55mm) it is much harder to get good pics bc no matter what the f-stop cannot go below 5 or so...plus the photo just doesn't come out as "clean" as prime lens does.

though i agree with barkley1 that having use 50mm prime indoors (with a non-fullframe DSLR) is a bit tough due to the limitations of just being able to get everything in the photo. i think my house is pretty dang huge and i am so glad i went with the 35 mm instead of the 50 mm prime. Even though the 50 mm is typically considered the "standard" in photography, once you take into account that factor for not having a full-frame DSLR, a 50mm lens has angle of view as 75mm, or something like that (i don't know all the technical terms very well, but it's something to that effect ).
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 02-17-2015 at 01:11 AM.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Try the 24mm pancake. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._f_2_8_is.html It only stops down to 2.8, but it's super sharp.

You'll probably have to crank up your ISO depending on the light, but I wouldn't shoot at under 1/80, and really ideally 1/100. They're just too wiggly I'd take grain over blur / softness any day.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Also, if you use flash, use a diffuser. You can DIY one for free. Better yet to get an external flash and bounce it, but that's a PITA on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    what ISO are you using? for indoor pics at night, i'd use ISO of at least 1600 or so (or higher).

i would not use f-stop of 1.8 (fully open)..lowest i'd go is 2.8 or something. if the f-stop is too low then the depth of field is too shallow, esp with trying to focus on multiple kiddos. this is another reason you'd have to to go larger ISO (so enough light can get through, but don't have to have it fully open)

i would stick with prime lens for indoor photos. i have a cheapo entry-level DSLR from 2008 and i can get decent indoor pics with the 35mm prime lens. with the kit lens though (18-55mm) it is much harder to get good pics bc no matter what the f-stop cannot go below 5 or so...plus the photo just doesn't come out as "clean" as prime lens does.
    Oooh, thanks for this...the ISO might be my problem. I have ISO set to auto, but who knows how well the auto works when using a prime lens and bad unidirectional overhead lighting. I'll try switching ISO to manual, and 1600.

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Try the 24mm pancake. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._f_2_8_is.html It only stops down to 2.8, but it's super sharp.

You'll probably have to crank up your ISO depending on the light, but I wouldn't shoot at under 1/80, and really ideally 1/100. They're just too wiggly I'd take grain over blur / softness any day.
    This lens looks like it might fit the bill for indoor shooting in tighter spaces!! Is the 2.8 stop good enough for low indoor lighting with the ISO cranked up?? I'll try the 2.8 stop, 1600 ISO with my 50 mm prime lens and if that helps solve the problem, then I would love to have this pancake lens for indoor kid shots!! My birthday IS coming up...LOL.

I love love love my 24mm pancake lens. I also have the 40mm, which is good for when I have a little more room but want close shots and don't want to get in people's faces - it was perfect for taking pictures in DD2's classroom the other day. I have a Rebel T2i, so yours is probably even slightly better at higher ISOs. (Actually, my SL1 just arrived today. I'm charging the battery right now. A bit of a "side-grade" rather than an upgrade, but it's so much smaller and lighter and I can't wait to try it!)

Here's a picture at ISO 1600, 1/100 sec, f/2.8, no flash. It was about 5pm, the overhead light was on, and there was a minimal amount of daylight coming in from our east facing slider.
    lens_iso_comp1.jpg

I have the Canon Speedlight 270 EX ii, which is tiny, but I can point it straight up at the ceiling (we have 8' ceilings, but I've bounced off of higher ceilings than that - the essential bit is for them to be white) and I prefer to do that in low light situations. This way I can have the shutter speed faster and catch wiggly kids easier (my preference is 1/160 or faster!) So, same lighting situation, but ISO 1600 (because I forgot to change it, gah), 1/160 sec, f/2.8, flash bounced off the ceiling.
    lens_iso_comp2.jpg

And finally, the next day, earlier afternoon, no overhead lighting, no flash. ISO 400, 1/160 sec, f/2.8. This one is also cropped a bit, because I had a headless DD1 in the frame.
    lens_iso_comp3.jpg

Love. The lens. Love it.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Thank you, Sarah!!! I officially put that lens on my bday wish list for DH to get LOVE those pictures of your DS with the clementines - LOVE them!!!

I think you'll be happy, it's a great indoor crop frame lens. And it's so tiny!

DS is totally obsessed with clementines, and apparently thinks they make good balls, too. He unexpectedly tossed those just as I was pressing the shutter button - watch out for flying oranges!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13