Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

We have a bunk room for our kids at our place. When they have friends, they change in the room and opposite sex kids just stay out. It isn't hard or a big deal (and they are all younger, ten is the oldest and not even close to puberty!). But I'd just ask, as mom2binsd suggested, if it would work as you are looking at possible places, that is the best answer!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We rented a house last winter for DH's whole family. The older cousins (G-12, B-8, G-7, G-5) all slept in the same room. Well, until DNiece 12 snuck out to sleep on the couch on the landing and DS followed her. So, the two of them ended up on the landing instead for one night. DD2 slept in the room with us, and DN (3 months) slept in the room with his parents.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I guess I should tell you why DNiece snuck out, huh? DD & Dniece7 were giggling & talking & driving the other two crazy. So, they got mad & left the room.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

My youngest brother and I slept in the same room (separate beds) for three months when I was in 10th grade and he was in K because we were moving and had landed in a temporary housing situation when the old house sold before we closed on the new house. It didn't bother me other than being annoyed that he went to bed so early I couldn't stay up late reading! (Our middle brother had to sleep on a couch in the living room, so at least I was in a bed. )

I would think by the time your DS is 11-ish it would be less OK? But I'd probably go with however the oldest girl feels about it.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Honestly, this is the kind of situation where you get what you get. IMO, when you are on vacation, renting a house, kids should just sleep where there is room. Not all overnight accommodations are going to be comfortable. But you just deal with it. If the parents want their kids to have their own bedrooms then they should pony up the additional costs. I wouldnt even ask my 11 year old. And I think changing in the bathroom should be tolerable for anyone for a few nights.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Honestly, this is the kind of situation where you get what you get. IMO, when you are on vacation, renting a house, kids should just sleep where there is room. Not all overnight accommodations are going to be comfortable. But you just deal with it. If the parents want their kids to have their own bedrooms then they should pony up the additional costs. I wouldnt even ask my 11 year old. And I think changing in the bathroom should be tolerable for anyone for a few nights.
    Good point. Count your blessings, kids, and have fun.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    I didn't think it was a matter of comfort or the parents not wanting to pay for the additional cost but different families have different comfort levels with opposite sex kids sharing rooms starting at the tween/teen years. That's all I think the OP meant. We are pretty relaxed but there are different levels of comfort depending on who the kids are, how precocious or if in the throes of puberty, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3