Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Dolls/accessories timing question

Bear with me please - trying to organize between Mopey's birthday next month and the arrival of the new baby this summer.

I told my mom she could go ahead and get the doll clothes/accessories and/or wooden cradle for Mopey's birthday. She has one 16" doll. That's naked.

This past weekend she fell in love with her godsister's 14" madame alexander baby doll and I mentioned to my mom that she said she'd love to have one (she has been dying to give her a doll).

So to the point - which would be better to save for when the new baby arrives? I really have no clue as she will love all of it any time; is it smarter to give her an actual baby doll when the new baby arrives or does it not matter? Maybe just clothes/cradle for the existing doll now and then new doll and accessories like the bottle, etc. so she can do those things while I do them with her sibling?

As always I love the great insight you all can give so please help a mama out!

PS - Just FYI she is getting the Hape kitchen and a cape/mask set so far for her birthday. There are a couple more toys I could give or hold back. I already have a necklace/bracelet teether set I was going to give her from the baby when it arrives.

TIA!!!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

i think you should let your mom give her the baby doll now. you know she likes it NOW and when real baby comes i would give her the cradle/maybe a diaper bag?

the clothes could be now too i think.

i'm sorta a spoiler....and if my kid EVER liked a doll- well, she's seven and i'm still waiting

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm trying to contain the spoiling a bit since we will be in our small apt with two kids for almost a year (and there are certain family members who don't listen and give doubles & crap). We'll keep thinking but I was never a doll girl so all of this is a bit strange to me
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I admire dolls, but wasn't ever a doll girl.

Except for Buttercup.

Buttercup was my doll when I was 3 or 4; she arrived around the same time as my brother Ger did.

She's been patiently waiting in my in-laws' basement for someone to play with, so I cleaned her up and gave her to DD almost 3 years ago. DD is not a "doll girl" but she loves Buttercup.

So, sometimes, I think it's got to be the right doll.

As for Mopey, I think clothes & cradle now, but the new doll should arrive closer to New Baby's arrival.

I wish I could remember how my aunt did it with her children, but she made it a big deal - the baby doll would arrive in a basket on the doorstep, complete with "care items" like diapers, diaper bag, blanket, sleepers, etc. - and the big sib-to-be would always proudly show his or her doll to visitors. (I remember my cousin Andrew showing me his baby when I visited, for example, and he was so happy to tell me all about it. He was so cute!!)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle