basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Keep or toss, blue apron?

My ILs gave us a gift subscription to Blue Apron for Christmas, and we're getting around to using it. Our second order was supposed to be dropped off yesterday between 8 am and 8 pm - ground beef, chicken, and shrimp.

It didn't come last night. It did arrive at 10 am today. DH opened it and the freezer packs were still frozen, and everything inside was cold. He put it immediately in the fridge.

I emailed Blue Apron and they refunded our week, and suggested we shouldn't eat the food.

It's been <10 degrees here the past 36 hours. I don't know where the package was overnight, though. I suppose it could have been brought inside, warmed up, then refrozen outside during that time, but that seems less likely than it just was held at pretty cold temps in an outside or near-outside environment (back of the truck, etc.) during that time.

Would you eat it now? I think I normally would, but we all had a (viral) stomach bug this weekend and I'm hesitating.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I usually lean toward "toss" whenever it's borderline anyway, but in this case, definitely TOSS because of the uncertainty of overnight conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would toss.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do Hello Fresh, which is a similar service, and I definitely wouldn't eat anything perishable from the box. If there were any veggies or other ingredients that aren't temperature sensitive, then I would try and salvage those. I have had that happen before and it really stinks to have o throw so much away, but I think it's the only option since you have no idea where the food was for 12+ hours.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

I had the same thing happen with Blue Apron and I tossed the meat but kept everything else. I just bought replacement meats and I was still able to make the recipes.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks, we ended up doing what pp suggested above. We had shrimp and chicken breast in the freezer, and I picked up some ground beef at the store. The noodles, lemons, carrots, bread, etc will be fine.