Thread: Diastasis Recti

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Diastasis Recti

It's been a year since DD2 and I just had my annual pap smear (and 6 week postpartum checkup!). I was somewhat relieved to hear that I have Diastasis Recti as I was really starting to worry that it was something like ovarian cancer or a cyst. I feel bloated and look 3/4 months pregnant all the time and my stomach has never gone back to being flat. There is a huge ridge down my midline if I try and use my abdominal muscles. My weight is below 100 lbs so this stomach issue is pretty obvious and not just extra baby weight. I do feel it's gotten worse rather than better and just wanted to see if others on this board have dealt with this.

Are there exercises that can help? My Dr mentioned a surgery, has anyone had this?

I still am worried that I have some bigger problem causing the bloated look and feeling. I don't think I felt this way the first 6 months, it seems like since the fall I have the feeling. It seems quite high that the "pooch" and pressure starts right below my rib cage. Is that really all from the diatasis recti? The last two weeks we have been on vacation and I probably have gained 2 lbs or so and now I am really noticing all this. I did just have the pap smear, which was fine, and he felt my ovaries and pressed on my stomach from the outside. Would that catch most bigger problems? I just did a bit of googling and scared myself to death.

Basically I would love some feedback about what this Diatasis Recti looks and feels like so I can know if this is normal and also what can help it!
    Last edited by flashy09; 02-18-2015 at 09:31 PM.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am not much help in telling you what this should or shouldnt feel like ( or with any other diagnoses!) ., but after my youngest was born, I had some bladder issues (sorry if TMI) and I went to a PT who specializes in women's issues. She helped me with my diatasis recti, and it made a big difference. I'm surprised that the ob/gyn did not mention that.
    I would start with a PT first, before talking about surgery! I know the user brittone is a PT-- maybe pm her if she doesn't see this thread.

Sorry I don't have time for a longer response right now, but The Tummy Team changed my life! It was started by an awesome PT who had significant DR herself and had trouble finding resources to heal. She offers remote sessions via Skype, but there may also be PTs in your area who are skilled in treating DR.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've heard lots of success stories with minimizing (not really curing, but closing the gap as much as possible) DR. I have a major DR but just don't feel like I have time for PT. I am careful about using my stomach muscles though, and try to avoid anything resembling a crunch or sit-up. That includes when I get out of bed - I roll onto my side and then push myself up with my arms (rather than using my ab muscles to sit up from a lying-flat-on-my-back position).

I actually feel like my DR has gotten slightly better over time without any intervention - I used to be able to fit 3-4 fingers in the gap (with muscles engaged!!!) and now I can fit 1-2 fingers (when engaged). I'm sure my gap is much bigger than a few fingers when not engaged.

I think I've just gotten used to the bulge and the pregnant look. I especially look preggo at the end of the day.

I've had to re-work my entire wardrobe to help hide/minimize my stomach. I'm also really slim/thin-framed (5'6', 120 pounds) so the stomach pooch is pretty obvious on a thin frame. I flat out just can't wear certain things anymore because they make me look TOTALLY pregnant. Anything with ruching on the sides? Forget about it! LOL!

I don't have a "bloated" feeling though. Unless I ate too much And you say you've only just recently had the bloated feeling. If it were me, that would be what I would want to pursue further with the doctor, I think.

Improving the DR itself would require extensive PT, or major surgery. A tummy tuck, says my OB/Gyn and you want to be absolutely sure you're done with having kids before you do that! My OB actually did a partial tummy tuck after my c-section - my muscles were SO separated that he pulled them back together as close as he could get them given my huge uterus and stitched them there. I'm convinced that's what made my c-section recovery SO miserable (and it's the one thing scaring me from getting a full tummy tuck). And I also shudder to think how much worse my DR could have been if he hadn't snuck in that little extra surgery...

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I used the Tupler technique to close mine substantially. Splinting was a pain, but it made a difference. It took a long time, and mine is still not totally closed, but drastically improved. My entire core was trashed, so I needed to go slowly and really rebuild everything. I was limited in what kind of exercise I could do because I compensated so much when I tried to do a squat, box jumps, anything that involved my core. It is also critical to be aware of the precautions for dialysis so you don't un do your progress.

I did not experience any feelinh of bloating, but yes, at the end of the day my organs were practically hanging out of my pooch. I would be sure to address the bloated feeling separately with your doc.

It was a long road back, but it has been worth it. I finally have some strength in my core again and just feel better overall as a result, cosmetics aside. I still have loose belly skin (I am petite with a short torso and had big babies) that will only improve if I have surgical intervention
    Last edited by brittone2; 02-19-2015 at 09:10 AM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010