Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Binkandabee View Post
    Blech. This takes all of the fun out of gift giving. It's a money grab and I don't like it one bit.

I totally get the reason behind it....they don't want a bunch of $10-$20 toys piling up for their kids who probably already have too many as it is, but it is over the top to request that all party attendees contribute to one large gift....that they don't even play a part in selecting.

If you don't want birthday presents, I think the best solution is to do a toy drive for a charity.
    Part of my issue is the multiple part! What if you only know one child? Do you give for all of them or just the one? It just seems so strange!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

People just don't care anymore. Also spinning off the Go Fund Me thread, one of my besties just texted me and is horrified that her sister has launched a GFM account on FB to raise money to take her daughter to a dance camp a few states away. Not even to pay for the camp, but for lodging and travel for the family. I just read the rather long summary paragraph, and there's nothing about any other types of fundraising they are doing.

People are completely shameless about asking for money to get exactly what they want. I would probably skip this party unless these folks are really good friends.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    People just don't care anymore. Also spinning off the Go Fund Me thread, one of my besties just texted me and is horrified that her sister has launched a GFM account on FB to raise money to take her daughter to a dance camp a few states away. Not even to pay for the camp, but for lodging and travel for the family. I just read the rather long summary paragraph, and there's nothing about any other types of fundraising they are doing.

People are completely shameless about asking for money to get exactly what they want. I would probably skip this party unless these folks are really good friends.

I'd skip too (and we try to go to all birthday parties of friends) or I would just buy a present for the sibling that was the same age as my kid.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Well, the wording is definitely annoying, no question. BUT, DS did get an invitation last year that said something to the effect of 'your presence at the party is all X really wants, but IF you are bringing a gift, I just wanted to let you know X has been saving for a Lego Something and is about halfway there. I know he would be so delighted to receive any contributions towards it." Of course, I don't remember the exact wording, but it was written so hesitatingly and politely (and I already knew the super sweet Mom) that it was actually nice to get the suggestion. Maybe it's all about how it's presented...

I agree that contribution is better word for that than donation, but besides wording I see it practical - something like wedding or baby registry. Instead of getting a lot of small gifts (that can get trashed within a week if there is a lot of siblings close to age), they can get xbox or something they can enjoy all together. I really don't see problem with it.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No. I just think it's tacky.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't like it. I can see how it can be helpful for attendees to find a meaningful gift. But really, that just isn't the point of having guests over for a birthday party! If people want to curate gifts and cobble together nicer things, that's just fine but it shouldn't be tied to a party. I think if ASKED it is just fine for the parents to give advice (Ex: DC is saving for a big lego set, etc.) but the information shouldn't be included in the invitation at all.

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree that this is super tacky! I understand not wanting or needing a lot of small gifts. We do no gift parties for this reason. I feel that we as a society have developed such a sense of entitlement about gifts. It is really sad. What kind of example are those parents setting for their kids?

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Personally, I think it is really tacky. But we don't share clothing size or toy likes, etc. unless asked. I know that many on this board don't agree with me, but I am so grateful that no-gift parties are par for the course for our friends. I can appreciate not wanting the clutter of a bunch of toys that will just be wasted/not played with, and that is why we all have no-gift parties.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast