anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Consumer information magazine for kids?

When I was a kid, I had a subscription to a magazine (called Zillions, maybe?) about advertising, money sense, and other consumer issues. Basically a Consumer Reports for kids. Does anyone know if a similar magazine exists nowadays? DD and I have had a lot of conversations lately about false advertising and I'd love if there was a magazine that explained this stuff more clearly than I can.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

subbing!! as a kid i loved getting Zillions subscription. i think it was really valuable and definitely was great for money sense, saving, being wary of ads, etc. I remember looking it up a few years back and they stopped publishing it in 2001 or something...sad bc I too would love to get my kids something like this. i feel like nowadays kids are surrounded by ads and i'd love for them to be more informed so they aren't always wanting to spend $$ on cheap crap just because their friends have it. LOL!

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Also subbing. I would love to find something like this for dd. I think she would get a lot out of it and find it really fascinating.

My kids love reading regular old consumer reports (age 10 and 8). My in-laws send it and we rarely look at it but they love it. Ten year old also likes looking through Money magazine and seems drawn to the consumer info type info.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    When I was a kid, I had a subscription to a magazine (called Zillions, maybe?) about advertising, money sense, and other consumer issues. Basically a Consumer Reports for kids. Does anyone know if a similar magazine exists nowadays? DD and I have had a lot of conversations lately about false advertising and I'd love if there was a magazine that explained this stuff more clearly than I can.
    Zillions started in 1988 as "Penny Power" and was billed as Consumer Reports for Kids.

I had a subscription for several years and thought it was the best magazine ever. (Especially when they called and asked for my input for an article!)

I'm unhappy to hear that it's been out of print since 2001; it was a FANTASTIC tool for learning how commercials work.

I wonder if there's somewhere you could find back-issues in PDF format; the topics Penny Power and Zillions went over are so applicable to the way toys, candy, and cereal are advertised today that I wish I had it for my DD.

And while I'm wondering, how hard would it be to get a magazine like this off the ground? I smell a Kickstarter if the right people got involved.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle