♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default 5k training app?

I just signed up for a 5k (eek!) the 2nd week of April. I haven't run a race in YEARS. As it is now, i can barely run a mile. I mainly did it because several other moms from kids' school were doing it and they made a team (it is one of those Color Runs, and it is at night).

Anyways, i have a little more than a month to train..any recs for training apps? Doesn't have to be free if it will skip ads etc. I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) but i also have an iPod touch that i use for music. Thing is i have most my music on my iPod, not my phone. I am not so much interested in knowing the distance as timing (E.g. saying start running now, etc). I also probably will be running a lot on a treadmill too given crazy weather.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What do you want from an app? I've never used a running app but my impression of those ones like couch to 5k are all about paving cues.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The one I used was 5K Runner (for iOS).

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I didn't use an app but liked the couch to 5k program. I listened to the Suz podcasts. http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/couch-to-5k/

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I use 10k runner. It follows the couch to 5k program and then continues on to a 10k. I'm sure there's a 5k version too.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    What do you want from an app? I've never used a running app but my impression of those ones like couch to 5k are all about paving cues.
    yeah one i had on ipod years ago had pacing cues (e.g. "start running now", or "xx minutes remaining."). i found it a bit hard to use though, and was never able to figure out how to have music in the background at the same time. most of the time i really want/need to run with music on.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've used the free version of the C25K app by Zen Labs. You can listen to your own music in the background. It's super easy. There are ads, but I have never found them to be a bother.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I've used the free version of the C25K app by Zen Labs. You can listen to your own music in the background. It's super easy. There are ads, but I have never found them to be a bother.
    Yep, this is the one I use.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11