Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Is there a big difference in doll quality? Is it worth it?

Are high-quality/high-cost baby dolls (Corolle, Bitty Baby, etc.) worth it?

We're planning to get DD a new doll for her baby sister's arrival. She'll be ~3.5 yo at the time. She currently has only one "real" doll, which is a Circo 14-inch doll. It's just a basic doll -- cloth body, plastic arms, legs, and head. (http://www.target.com/p/circo-feed-a...ot=medium_1_17) She plays with the doll at least some each day. She's had the doll for a year and it's held up just fine. The plastic head has some weird scuff marks, but they're not terrible and don't bother DD at all. Size seems perfect for her. I'm happy with the doll and she hasn't felt "cheap" even though it was.

In terms of the new doll we're going to get her -- I don't want to just buy a second Circo 14-inch doll, because they all look identical and I don't want to just have 2 of the same doll. Do you think the higher quality, expensive babies like Corolle or Bitty Baby are worth it? What makes them better than the cheap Circo-type doll? If you think they're worth it, are there other brands besides Corolle and Bitty Baby I should look at? If you don't think they're worth it -- any suggestions of other less expensive baby dolls that would fit the bill? I'm basically looking for a doll that DD can "take care of" with me while I'm taking care of her baby sister.

(and as a semi-seperate question -- if you like Corolle, anyone have the Les Classiques vs. the Calin? I know Calin gets a ton of love around here, but I think I prefer the 14-inch size of the Les Classiques baby instead....)
    Lizi

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

More expensive dolls are definitely high quality - you aren't just paying for a name, you are paying for durability and a doll that looks and feels better than the discount store brand.
    Having said that, I got my kid Corelle and a few other nicer dolls over the years, and my experience is-- kids latch on to certain dolls for arbitrary seeming reasons with no amount or predictability. You could spend $85 for a bitty baby which the kid loves, or which the kid ignore whole combining to maul the Circo one to bits.
    So, is it worth it is kind of a toss up.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hey Lizi - you already know we are on the same track so you won't be surprised by my chiming in I thought about getting Mopey another doll (she has a 16" Nuneco since last July) but then I realized she loves the one she has, it's in great shape and I don't want more dolls (Mopey has a plushie issue already). Instead what we've decided to do is accessories: my mom is giving her a cradle for her birthday next week and then when the baby comes we will give her the "stuff" - bib, bottle, carrier, etc. so she can take care of her while I take care of Baby #2. Hopefully your DD doesn't have all that stuff so you can consider another option like us. Just wanted to share my idea.

PS - I do know Mopey would love another one though - and this is it (definitely cute and a nice quality - my goddaughter has it): http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Cuddles-H...earts+a+cuddle
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Just remember that little kids don't know how much things cost, and there's no telling what they'll attach to. My DD's have a TON of dolls- some more expensive than others. Their absolute favourites over the years have been the $5 Walmart dolls that our cleaning lady got them a few years ago. Second faves have been the $10 Ikea dolls. I know some people think they're 'creepy' looking, but my girls have loved them. They're a nice size, super soft, and the clothes and accessories are very cheap, and super easy to get on and off.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS2 has a correll doll that we've washed dozens of times and "baby" is still in great shape so IMO that is maybe the only big difference in dolls that are $ is maybe they clean up that said will agree with PP that it is a crap shoot what DC like
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have both the Calin and Les Classiques. We love them both. We bought the Les Classiques when DD2 was born as DD1's gift. We already had the Calin which she loved. It got some love at the time. She kind of gave up on dolls once she had her own baby. She focused on stuffed animals. Now that DD2 is 16 months and loves dolls, both girls give both dolls lots of love.