mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Device to track swimming distance

Just signed up with some friends for a 3.5km swim across a lake. Hoping this is the motivating push I need to get back on track with working out and lose the pounds I gained over the past year.

I'm training in a pool and finding it difficult to keep counting laps. Anyone swim and use some sort of distance-tracking device or watch? All I really care about is distance and time. Don't need anything fancy, just something that won't get in my way. A quick google search seems to indicate a waterproof watch is probably the way to go.

Anyone use one that they would recommend?
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Yes, I have used 2 of them. One is called the Pool Mate and it tracks distance and time. I have a fancier one that also tracks heart rate. I got them both from Swimoutlet.com I have ordered many things from them--they are great. Both of them are watches. You set the distance of the pool and it tracks how many lengths you go. I use it to time my sprints and my rest time (e.g. swim 25 yds, rest 10 seconds, swim another 25 etc). And then to track laps on my longer swims. The fancier watch vibrates when I am done, which is nice because I don't have to look at the watch.

The other thing I got is the Swim MP head phones. It's 2 plastic pieces that clip onto your goggles and sit on the side of your face. There is a wire that connects them and on the back is a tiny thumb drive. You down load music to that drive. Then the headphones work by conducting the music through your ear bones/cheek bones. No ear buds. This is what gets me through when I have to swim longer than 500 yards in a pool!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Yes, I have used 2 of them. One is called the Pool Mate and it tracks distance and time. I have a fancier one that also tracks heart rate. I got them both from Swimoutlet.com I have ordered many things from them--they are great. Both of them are watches. You set the distance of the pool and it tracks how many lengths you go. I use it to time my sprints and my rest time (e.g. swim 25 yds, rest 10 seconds, swim another 25 etc). And then to track laps on my longer swims. The fancier watch vibrates when I am done, which is nice because I don't have to look at the watch.

The other thing I got is the Swim MP head phones. It's 2 plastic pieces that clip onto your goggles and sit on the side of your face. There is a wire that connects them and on the back is a tiny thumb drive. You down load music to that drive. Then the headphones work by conducting the music through your ear bones/cheek bones. No ear buds. This is what gets me through when I have to swim longer than 500 yards in a pool!
    Cool! Thanks for the recommendations. DH was just telling me he doesn't know how he would ever swim that long without music. I've seen people at the pool with various waterproof earbuds but they all seemed too bulky. The one you mentioned sounds much better.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

stanton, would you please link the mp3? They both sound awesome.

I tried linking and can't from my phone. The MP3 player is the finis swimp3 player at swimoutlet. It has been upgraded recently and sounds awesome.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."