Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4 yo bikes?

Default 4 yo bikes?

We gave DS1 a Strider balance bike for his bday/easter a couple years ago. It was never a big hit for him and he has only used it a handful of times and never got the hang of it really. He begs for his plasmacar or scooter if we tried to get him to ride it, and by now, I am pretty sure he has outgrown it anyway (he is 98%ile height/weight, basically the size of most kindergartners.)

So what would you try next? Forget the balance bike thing and go for training wheels? Or try a bigger balance bike and hope it clicks? (I never really knew to check the size on it so I am not positive the strider was ever really a good size/fit for him.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

DD also had a balance bike that she was never super into. She learned to balance riding a razor scooter and already knew how to pedal from riding a trike. She learned to ride a bike without training wheels pretty easily the summer she was five. We did start her on a bike that was on the smaller size and I think that helped.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We used a 14" bike when DS transitioned from a balance bike. The 12" is really small, but the 16" was pretty big for him (that size might be ok for your DC, mine is average height). I think a lot of kids need training wheels for a 16" bike because it's so big. Lowering the seat helps too, so their feet can reach the ground easily and they can catch themselves as they get the feel for balancing.
    DS age 9

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

My kids were on 16" bikes after kindergarten. It was a slight stretch for DS2, but fine for the others. My kids did do well on balance bikes and were on 2-wheels by 4. If he can balance on the scooter, I might try just to have him do the 2-wheeler. Take him to the store and try bikes for size.
    Kris

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We were/are in same position. DC is now 4yo, and we just tried a training wheel bike. It wasn't a hit either. We returned it. So for now, it's the scooter. We are going to get a WeeHoo trailer hoping that might encourage the biking since DC can pedal on it.

My son did a pedal bike with training wheels and dropped the training wheels at 5/5.5. I personally thing the keys are:
    Leading by example - bike rides are family fun
    Right size - too big or too small makes the challenge too much for them
    Decent quality - friends had a cheap bike we tried to get my son to ride as an example and it was 'too hard'

Balance bikes were not a thing when we were dealing with this. If so, I would have tried that earlier. My friend's son is mastering one now at 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen841 View Post
    My son did a pedal bike with training wheels and dropped the training wheels at 5/5.5. I personally thing the keys are:
    Leading by example - bike rides are family fun
    Right size - too big or too small makes the challenge too much for them
    Decent quality - friends had a cheap bike we tried to get my son to ride as an example and it was 'too hard'

Balance bikes were not a thing when we were dealing with this. If so, I would have tried that earlier. My friend's son is mastering one now at 3.
    Thanks! Definitely some good points. Unfortunately we definitely won't be doing 'family' bike rides anytime soon (I'm having a high risk pregnancy and on 2 kinds of blood thinners, my doctors would seriously flip out if I even asked them if I could go on a bike ride, they are barely letting me use a knife to cut food.) And I'm pretty sure DH will never ever ride a bike. We do family walks though while the kids ride whatever they want. And try to find some friends that ride bikes. I wish I knew someone that had success with a balance bike near us- I've tried showing DS1 kids on youtube- but I think seeing it in person would help.

I do think we need to try a bike shop though to get the right size and I have heard of some people removing the pedals from a regular 2-wheeler bike to turn it into a balance bike then adding them back later, I wonder if that could be a good option, with a quality bike that is the right size for him

We started trying the balance bike at about 22 months for him but it just never clicked. . I do wonder if the size has always been an issue with the Strider bike he currently has. Couldn't hurt to talk to them about it.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm sure the strider was the right size when he was younger, but I would also think it's too small now. If you want to give the strider another try, i think they sell an extended seat/post. you can also look at their website for details and then measure his inseam to check on size. My older three learned early to ride the balance bikes and then by 4 were riding a pedal bike. They never used training wheels. I would move on to a pedal bike at this point. just have them try with you holding onto the seat and without training wheels. after a few attempts this way, mine had the hang of the balance part. if he can ride a two wheel scooter, he has learned the balance part. it also helps to adjust the seat down so they can comfortably touch the ground with both feet at the same time. After they learn and want to bike faster and farther, you can adjust the seat to a more normal position.
    Last edited by abh5e8; 03-16-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

DS had a balance bike and went right to a 12 in specialized hot rock. He could ride a 16 inch but it was too much bike for him to balance and maneuver easily bc he couldn't get his feet flat on the ground w the seat all the way down. I'm keeping my eye out for a good 16 in bike on CL now.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default 4 yo bikes?

We did balance bikes through 4 until almost 5 with one kid. Starting on a 12 was easier for him., then he moved to the 16 for a flash, and I stuck him on the 20" at 5.25 just because I was sick of having so many bikes. Keeping them on the smaller ones until comfortable was better., but it was so slow for him to keep up with siblings riding to school a few times. "I" needed bigger tires for him.

After our amazing experiences with balance bikes, (fluent riders at 48 and 39 months with dd and ds1) it's hard to fathom how some kids don't like them. Watching YouTube videos of balance bikes and going somewhere there's a looking path and having an adult run along beside while they ride seemed to make it click for ours. With a short path and no running adult, I can see how it wouldn't "take" though. It's such a fun concept. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 03-16-2015 at 05:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast