Default Cup rec's for 12 month old?

DS is starting to drink more water and that is something I want to encourage. After going through about 5 kinds of sippy cups the only ones he would really drink from are the Take n Toss ones (the small ones but we don't use the snap on handles because he doesn't seem to like them). He did recently kind of figure out straws and can now also drink from his Munchkin straw cup (like this but with an animal head instead of Elmo: http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Sesam...hkin+straw+cup).

What I am looking for is a spill-proof option that I can leave in the family room in a place he can get to it to drink if he gets thirsty while playing. Don't want to use the Take n Toss's because they aren't spill proof. The straw cup seems better, but I am wondering if there is something better out there?
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Following! As I was about to post to ask for sippy cup rec for my 14 month old DS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

We have been using the Munchkin 360 cup and liking it for a couple of months. It's decently spill proof. If your crazy child hurls it top speed at the wall, well, expect some spillage, but normal use has been great. Munchkin Miracle 360 Sippy Cup, Green/Blue, 10 Ounce, 2 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MRZIGVG/ (horrifying price on Amazon currently--they're normal sippy cup price at Target and probably Wal-Mart).

After extensive research yielding nothing conclusive on the "better... best?" straw cups we picked up the Munchkin weighted straw version at Target. Amazon has it for much more than Target in this case too... Probably ~$6 in store. DS is 9 months so he doesnt do much to attack it other than toss it off his high chair at this point. And once the top is click-locked properly --> zero complaints about leaks. Have packed it in diaper bag and he's left it inverted on the playmat and no issues. We use it for water only too. He also picked up pretty quickly how to suck the water out of the straw - DH and I both tried it when we first got it and had to admit it required a little strength in those muscles. But he figured it quickly so we don't have to feed him ourselves with an open cup every single time.

http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Click...w+cup+weighted
    DS 2014

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My DD1 did best with the Take N Toss cups initially, but then by the time she got more teeth and could bite through the spouts we switched to Avent spouts, Playtex sister cups, or Gerber graduates cups, but until she was 3 she preferred the Avent spouts (I had to hide them from her because I didn't want her using them outside the house and getting stares from random people about a 3 yr. old using a bottle). Straw cup wise she (as well as DD2) did best with these Nuby straw cups:http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Spill-Fli...nuby+straw+cup

Dd2 used the Nuk sipper, and then the Playtex sipster cups
    http://www.nuk-usa.com/cups_and_acce...s-learner-cup/
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

We liked the Gerber graduates straw cups, but they have apparently redesigned them since my boys used them so I have no idea how good they are now. They had valves to prevent spills. I wouldn't bother getting the smaller sized cups because they can hold the bigger ones fine anyway. Also, don't get sippy cups with soft spouts because they like to chew those (we had some from Gerber).
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Thanks for the ideas! We tried the sippy cups with soft spouts and he wouldn't drink out of them (or the hard spout ones with valves) anyway. Sounds like getting a few more straw cups is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

We tried so many sippy cups with DS and for some reason he couldn't figure out how to lift and tilt the cup properly. It never occurred to me to try a straw because in my mind, those were harder. But as it turns out, he figured out the straw immediately (this is a couple months back) and now drinks soooo much water all the time. The cup that we've been using is a playtex cup I think. It clicks shut when you turn it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14