Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also know more than one person who was encouraged to retain and then told their child didn't qualify for services (but would have had they gone to the higher grade level). I am pretty jaded . . . the reality as I see it is that schools, while generally populated with people who care about children, do not always have the resources to help children with special needs. So it becomes this bizarre game of hide the ball. I experienced twelve people trying to convince me that my son was "so strong" in all of these areas of reading and didn't need a special education evaluation. Well, then why were they putting him into a non-special education program aimed at the absolute lowest performing readers. It was nonsensical! I also--as a general matter and recognizing variability district to district -- do not trust their special education evaluations for children with moderate level learning or behavior issues. Many districts give easier tests, don't test comprehensively etc. You really need your own experts who you trust assessing his academics and also the sensory and adhd pieces. He may be further behind than you think or they are letting on in straight academics if they are suggesting retention. You need to know that and often the school will dance around it or not tell parents because they don't want to pay for special ed. I am in forums for kids with dyslexia with LARGE NUMBERS of parents who were told their child was doing OK etc and then found out in third, fourth, fifth grade or beyond that their kid was illiterate, reading at a first grade level or below.

I know it daunting and may not be possible to pay for private testing. But I truly believe if there is a time to call on grandparents, dig deep, do whatever, it is in this window of early intervention when it is so important to secure good testing and come up with a good plan for services and intervention.
    Last edited by sste; 03-27-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014