Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Looking for chair "booster seat" recommendations

DD1 (5.5 yrs) abandoned her Keekaroo chair for the table months ago, and has been sitting in a regular chair. The problem is she is not quite tall enough to actually sit over the table while she eats. She can see and reach just fine, but she doesn't really eat over the table. I'm tired of the mess! She will not sit in a regular, aka "baby" booster seat. She needs a phone book (which we don't have anymore) or a cushion, but I need the "booster" to be easily cleanable and non-slip. Any ideas of what I can use around the house to boost her up? Ideally something like this but I don't want to buy anything just yet. Would something like a piece of a non-stick rug pad or drawer liner under a text book work?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Does she sit on her knees? Is that acceptable to you? My DD2 is 5 and a little peanut and she tends to sit on her knees at the dinner table. DH and I are fine with it because like you, we hate the mess on the floor otherwise.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Does she sit on her knees? Is that acceptable to you? My DD2 is 5 and a little peanut and she tends to sit on her knees at the dinner table. DH and I are fine with it because like you, we hate the mess on the floor otherwise.
    No, she doesn't. She almost never sits on her knees. She prefers the w-sit, which we constantly remind her not to do.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bought something almost exactly like what you linked to and my girls liked it. It made them a little taller without being a 'baby' seat. Plus it was super easy to clean and take off in case someone older needed the chair.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

yikes, a text book would be trashed in my kids seats. we also have one similar to the link. its great for just what you describe, OP. (although FWIW, I got tired of cleaning it and made them all go back to their tripp trapps. they are just the right height and they eat and behave SO much better at the table. clean up is much better as well. maybe find a way to convince her to go back to her other chair?)
    Last edited by abh5e8; 03-27-2015 at 06:16 PM.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We had a booster similar to the one you linked (cooshee was the brand, I think). It wasn't great -- it tipped when my kids tried to climb in and the slightly sticky foam wrecked the finish on my kitchen chair.

We have kid chairs from ikea. They're normal chairs (no tray), but high and the seat is sized for a kid. DD2 is six and still using hers.

we have one similar to the link but different brand my son is 6 1/2 and still uses it. we have padded chairs so we dont have the problem with it sticking but a kitchen towel underneath will solve that problem as well. its very easy to clean , take with you if you travel etc.
    Renee
    (mommom to Noah my beautiful Ethiopian miracle. born 6/26/08 forever a family 4/20/09)

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the Kaboost, which is a spring-loaded plastic contraption that fits on the bottoms of most traditional wooden chairs. It makes the chair taller (we call it "tall chair") without anything extra to sit in on top of the chair. DD (7) still sits in it, although she could use a normal chair. Even my friend who is 5' tall sits in it when she comes over. If you do decide to purchase something, I recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kaboost-Portab...ywords=kaboost

We have the one you linked to, and it works great.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We bought 2 of the one you linked to for our kids bc they were having similar issues. They haven't been as successful as we hoped. They work fine on our chairs and get them to a good height for the table, but they both only intermittently use them and I got tired of arguing about them. They are constantly getting moved from chair to chair or to the floor which turned into a big pain. I also haven't found them that easy to clean bc they are a funny material that doesn't wpe easily - we have the brown and they always look directly now even if I have just wiped them with a Clorox type wipe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast