Default 36 and Wacky periods

I turned 36 in November. In January (I think) I stopped taking my BCP's because I had theorized that they might be causing my migraines. It would seem like I was right about that as I haven't really had a migraine since then (this after having multiple ones per month for years and the last one being at least 7 straight days). However, now my periods (which I hadn't been having with my BCP's) are all wacky. The first two were crazy heavy and full of large clots. They were a normal 28 days or so apart. However, now I seem to be starting again about 18 days after the last one, which was also very heavy....like, couldn't sleep because every time I would turn over there would be gushing.

I'm too young for this to be pre-menopause even, aren't I? I mean in 4-5 years, I'd expect this, but not quite yet. I mentioned the idea of an ablation to my GYN the last time I was there (last Sept.) but she didn't seem inclined to even consider it. Instead she mentioned the idea of Mirena, but I'm not sure why I would choose that over an ablation, since we are done having children and DH had a vasectomy last fall.

What's going on with me?
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My periods started going wonky at about 38 years old. I started getting really heavy periods that would last much longer than usual. And I'd go longer between them for a few cycles then it seemed like I'd only go a few weeks before getting my period. That has been going on for 5 years now and for the last year I've been having more clots.

My doctor decided 3 years ago to do an ultrasound of my uterus to check the cause of the heavy bleeding. She said it was possible I was forming fibroids. She really doubted that I was starting menopause or even perimenopause. The ultrasound came back clear. They recommended birth control for the bleeding and to make my periods more regular. But since I wanted more options (I really wanted to save birth control as a last option for various reasons) my doctor told me to take 600mg of Advil every 6 hours for a few days before my period and during my period. That really did help for the last 3 years with the amount of bleeding (which was making me anemic). But lately I've noticed my hormones are all over the place and I'm getting terrible cramping with my period. It's so bad that taking Advil doesn't make any difference. I've started taking progesterone birthcontrol to help regulate the hormones. It shouldn't have any impact on the timing of my wonky periods but it should keep the lining of my uterus thinner and help with the blood loss. The next step after this would be to consider an iud or ablation.

I guess my point is that based on my experience, it is very possible you are starting perimenopause. My doctor thought I was too young but now I am sure that is what I was beginning to go through 5 years ago. Or your irregular periods are a result of your stopping birth control and it will take some time for them to even out. Or maybe you have something else like fibroids or endometriosis that are causing the bleeding and clotting. i think I'd ask the doctor about those possibilities.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thanks, gatorsmom. I was checked about a year ago for fibroids, as they have been on my radar since my mom developed them years ago and had a horrible time until they were discovered. U/s showed that all was good. I do think that I need to give myself a bit more time since stopping the BCP's to see how things play out, but so far, my cycles are right on time and really, really heavy. Like leaking around a super plus tampon and having to change pads/tampon multiple times a night for a few days. It's affecting my sleep and activities for sure.

I would happily do an ablation, but when I suggested that to my OBGYN, she seemed like that wouldn't even be a normal option, even though I know it's done for this reason. I'm done having kids, I am 100% certain that a pregnancy would not be in my best interest given my back issues/more surgery in the future. I just don't need one more thing to deal with, kwim? I might just try the Ibuprofen thing for next month though....it can't hurt.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09