Default Adderall and Tics

DS is 11 and has ADHD and we're working to find him the right combo of medication since October. About two weeks ago we started him on 10 mg of Adderall in the morning and 5mg at lunch time. Adderall XR at both 10mg and 15mg really affected his sleep. On Sunday, I noticed his body was moving a bit, but I thought he was just being fidgety. But on Monday, his teacher had sent an email saying he had a pretty bad bay. Constantly checking in with her, not listening and rushing. He was also twitching a lot. It's mainly in his right side of the body, sort of a jerking motion. At first she thought he had hiccups, but it lasted the whole day. I haven't given him any adderall since Monday. He's also on 0.5mg of guanfacine, twice a day. The tics/ jerking motion has not subsided and it's pretty intense to me. He's not aware of it. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm starting to freak out because a lot of the websites say it can be permanent. I wanted to stop the adderall at the last appointment, but the psychiatrist said that he showed some improvement, so we should continue.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No personal experience, but I would call his doctor immediately. It could be tardive dyskinesia, which is a known side effect and can be serious.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

DD takes 10 mg of Addrrall (she is 6). She has not exhibited thosside affects, but they were something mentioned by her dr. I hope that your son's side affects are short lived. Our dr. never mentioned permanence, but did say to call if we nicest any ticks or twitching. I would definitely call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

OP here, I have called the psychiatrist and we do have an appointment for tomorrow. I too, am hoping this is not permanent and eventually will resolve. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with seeing tics and having it go away.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My younger DD developed some behaviors that we thought were OCD related while taking Concerta. We took her to an OCD therapist who said she thought it was more likely Tourettic OCD, which basically means compulsive tics. We switched her from the Concerta to a different med and they have greatly improved.

I would consider asking for a switch to something besides Adderall.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)