Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Need help- I gained 15 lbs!! Sm update #1

Crappity, crap crap! I had a physical this morning and found out I gained 15 lbs since my last visit . I can't believe it! I knew I gained weight over this terrible winter (ie never went outside to exercise due to icy/snowy conditions and barely went to the gym) and ate pretty much whatever I wanted. I am so mad and disappointed in myself. Granted, last year I was at a low weight for me (due to a lot of stressful things going on in my life), but I could really stand to lose at least 7-8 lbs.

Over the last two weeks I have been going out for walks or swimming with the kids nearly every day. I hate running, but I might try to intersperse that with walking (tough when the kids are with me though).

So, long story short I want to lose weight and I need a jump start. I can see that I need to watch what I eat. What are some tips for curbing the munchies? I need some ideas for low calorie snacks that fill me up.
    small update: I have been meaning to update this post for some time now. I am happy to say that I am back to my normal weight. I did manage to lose the 5-7lbs that was hanging on. I could definitely stand to lose some more (I fall at the high end of normal for my BMI), but still happy to be back at this weight.

Now that many months have passed since this original post I wanted to share the single thing that I firmly believed help me to lose weight. NO MORE DIET SODA!! I am telling you, I have lost inches, most noticeably in my tush. I have always had a pear shape and I can totally see the difference in how my clothes fit.

The only thing that I have done long term since April is cut out diet cola. I completely switched to plain (unsweetened) iced teas and water as my drink of choice. Before my doctors visit, I had 1-2 cans of diet coke each day. As far as diet and exercise, I have waxed and waned in those areas. Some months I was better at watching my diet and increasing exercise and other months I totally fell of the wagon.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. Y'all were so supportive when I first posted--thanks for giving me the push I needed
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 09-19-2015 at 09:09 PM.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Deep calming breaths. I went to a health screen when Dh's work switched insurance admins and found out I gained 20 lbs since this fall. Not too surprising given my habits, but I was still shocked. My daily attire hides it so well I wasn't aware enough.

I tried MFP again and while it works to a degree it is just not that compatible with my food. It became too burdensome to calculate calories. So I'm trying to stick to something simple, like NOT SNACKING! I'm training for a sprint tri in the fall and currently working on swimming, but I found that even walking briskly burns almost as many calories as running (at my speed anyway, lol).

I think I have to either move my laptop out of the kitchen or just go to bed earlier, because my weakest time is mid afternoon and later at night. I drink a lot of tea and/or coffee. I find sometimes my urge to snack is not even related to hunger, I can feel the mental signal that goes off and says, "I feel like something crunchy and salty," like chips, popcorn, crackers, etc. Trying to sub it for something else isn't that helpful and the point is to ingest fewer calories to begin with.

Anyway I feel for you. This was the most I've weighed since after DD3 was born. It was a shocker.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My friend did Weight Watcher this fall and had amazing success!

I recommend signing up for a class or committing to meet a friend at classes at your gym as a way to stay motivated to exercise. Weights in addition to walking and running are great too!

Did they check your thyroid? That's one of my issues.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree, cut out snacking. At 45, I too had a weight gain which surprised me and it is far harder to lose weight at this age. I already work out for an hour a day, consistently. But the real key for me has been three meals and no snacks. My meals are protein/fat heavy, low grain/starch/sugar and high on the veggies. If I need a snack before dinner, it is celery or another veggie. I can't do MFP but this has worked.

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am on mfp (again) after gaining similar amt.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    I agree, cut out snacking. At 45, I too had a weight gain which surprised me and it is far harder to lose weight at this age. I already work out for an hour a day, consistently. But the real key for me has been three meals and no snacks. My meals are protein/fat heavy, low grain/starch/sugar and high on the veggies. If I need a snack before dinner, it is celery or another veggie. I can't do MFP but this has worked.
    Yes to all of this exactly. Can't believe how hard it has been to take off the 15 lbs I've gained in the 3 years since I went back to school/graduated/started working. I'm turning 48 and it has never been this hard. But I am finding protein/fat heavy, low grain/starch/sugar and high on the veggies to be the key for me. And moving somehow everyday even if just for 15-20 min. My snack is a single serving packet of cashews 1x/day. Oh - and drinking a lot of water.
    Last edited by pinkmomagain; 04-09-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree to up protein and good fats as they will help you feel fuller longer and help keep you from craving snacks. Do you drink soda? If so, I'd start with cutting that out as it can feed sugar cravings like crazy. And when I have a need to snack (late afternoon while I'm just sitting at my work computer is the worst time) and I can't shake it I find chewing gum helps.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It helps me to eat only raw almonds as my snack. They are much more filling than roasted almonds, and not quite as tasty, so when I'm done with the serving, I don't reach for more. I only have a serving amount (1/4 cup). Measure it out to get used to the amount. I used to fill snack baggies with the right amount, and grab one if I was going out.

Right now I'm back to snacking too much (still high protein, though), but trying to get back to the almonds. Whatever I snack on, I look for at least 6g protein and under 200 calories.

Default Need help- I gained 15 lbs!!!

Don't buy the chips, crackers, popcorn, or whatever your weakness foods are, just don't. If they aren't there, I won't eat them. My husband is the snack guy and I am not a big snacker on my own but will eat if someone else is snacking. Buy the already measured single serve packs of TJ's almonds to make it easy at first. Have crunchy veggies and make a dip with non-fat Greek yogurt and garlic and onion powder and garlic salt to get the saltiness without ruining clean eating. My kids and I love kale chips with salt, homemade and super easy and get them super crunchy. Good luck.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great advice. Love this thread!

I will say that my stepmom and bio dad are very thin and they NEVER snack. Ever. They might be hungry but they wait and stepmom cooks really great healthy foods. They are true role models for me.

I will say it is tough because 3 of my 4 kids are teeny tiny thin ones and I feel like they NEED snacks. They have microscopic tummies that simply can't be filled up enough to go several hours between meals. So I have to learn to feed them...but not eat!

Exercise is fantastic. I think it takes several weeks to see results so don't be determined if you don't see it right away. Do something you love.

I'm right there with you but I want to lose closer to 20 pounds (maybe more but I don't do scales).

I'm concentrating on losing slowly and changing my habits and my life. I want to be thin for good.

Good luck OP!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast