Default Has anyone tried Costco's unrefrigerated chocolate milks?

My kids don't drink plain milk (probably my fault b/c I think plain milk tastes gross too unless it's in cereal.) Anyway, we are going to be traveling out of state in a few weeks and it is a pain to deal with buying/refrigerating/making chocolate milk for them in a hotel room especially for about a week. (DS2 just finally totally weaned less than a month ago and still asks to nurse sometimes, especially to sleep, I have been distracting him with chocolate milk instead.)

Anyway, I was eyeing these at Costco, they have a Hershey's brand and a Kirkland's organic, both unrefrigerated, which would be so so easy to buy before, throw some in our hotel fridge if we want them cold when we get there, etc. We've never bought unrefrigerated milk before, though, and I'm wondering if it tastes similar or is going to be a huge fail. (DH acted like it would be nasty when I mentioned how much easier this would be.)

Thanks!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We've bought the Kirkland chocolate milk for DD before and she likes it. It's super convenient. My boys are allergic to dairy so they don't drink it but they love the equivalent almond milk portable boxes. Those unrefrigerated boxes are perfect for lunch boxes, going out and for traveling. You should try them!
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've been buying those milk boxes for like a decade. They are fine. . I'm actually surprised you haven't tried them! They are so ubiquitous. Ds2 grabs one at every coffee shop we hit. We like different brands more than others but that's just personal preference. In a pinch, they'll drink any.
    Fwiw, have you tried drinking plain whole milk vs reduced fat or fat free? So good!

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My kids have never turned down any kind of chocolate milk! :-)

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

DD2 once killed a case in a week. She prefers the Costco brand to the Horizon, which is fine with me because they are cheaper. DD1 says they taste funny, but she will drink white milk boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

My kids love any kind of chocolate milk, and we've been stocking up on the Kirkland boxes for a while now.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD1 drinks the Kirkland boxes regularly. She prefers her milk warm. But she is just as happy with those as she is with the Horizon ones, and the Kirkland are cheaper.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Thanks everyone! So good to know they are fine. I would have just bought them but I happened to mention them to DH and then his reaction to non-refrigerated milk made me second guess it. I will make sure they will drink them before we drive all the way with a case or so of it, but I am excited how much easier this should make everything!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I drank so many of those when I was pregnant and I totally preferred them to the Horizon brand - they seemed less sweet, more "dark chocolate-y".

Putting them in the freezer for about an hour (give or take - you have to figure it out by trial/error) was the BEST because it would become partially frozen but still slushy. OH SO GOOD.