LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Running watch recs?

I'm working on getting back to running regularly and am in need of a watch that will keep track of mileage. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305, and I don't like how bulky it is. It also takes ages to find local satellites. I'm well into my run before the dang thing is ready.

Here are the features I'd love:
    -can be used as a daily watch, so relatively slim
    -simple run tracking features. I need to know how far I've gone and how fast I'm running. That's about it.
    -daily step count feature. I'd like it to replace my Fitbit.
    -decent charge time. I don't want to have to charge it daily. Maybe once a week.
    -reliable and durable. Ideally I could leave it on in the shower.
    -less than $200

Does something like this exist? Maybe the Garmin Forerunner 15? I feel like all of the running watches I've seen either have way too many features (and are $$) or don't have all of the features I'm looking for (like the step count).

Thanks!
    Last edited by LBW; 04-16-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Subscribing! I'm interested in a similar type watch for Mother's Day. I've just been using the RunKeeper app on my phone which I keep in a waist pouch when I run. Generally it seems accurate but 2x last week it had me running 8min miles which I just don't do. At one point it even announced my current pace as 67mph. I laughed out loud. So, I'd like something that I can count on to be more accurate.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OMG, subbing... i was just about to start a thread just like this! I was bitching to DH recently how I am getting so frustrated with my running setup. I have a Fitbit Flex which i love, but i wish i could keep track of my pace/mileage while running. I tried using my phone with RunKeeper app and while it was ok, it too screws up the GPS (it said I did a 5 minute mile once last week..WTF). Plus, I personally think running with a phone app is sort of pain...bc i use my phone for work emails it has a lock feature (where i must enter code to unlock , etc) so it's not the best for checking it during a run, or etc. This morning I actually broke out my Garmin Forerunner 101 (I think i bought it in 2004!!) and yes while it worked (showed my pace/mileage) i had the same problem as OP..it took a solid 5 minutes to find the freakin' satellites..annoying.

DH wants to get me the Fitbit Surge watch for Mother's Day, which looks nice and would be great for what i need, but the problem is i don't know if i could deal with wearing that big thing all day/all night long too (for step counts). Fitbit Flex is ok for me right now for wearing all day/night, but that is much smaller.

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So far, the Garmin Forerunner 15 seems to be the best (only?) option with all of the features I'm looking for. I agree about the Fitbit Surge -- the features seem great, but it's just so big. I don't know if I could wear it all the time. Maybe look at the Garmin Vivofit?

I'm doing a 5K training challenge right now, and one of the leaders recommended a Soleus GPS mini. I like the way it looks, but it doesn't get great reviews. It also doesn't count steps. The Garmin Forerunner 10 is priced well, but it doesn't count steps, and I need that feature since I work from home and need to increase my daily activity.

I like the reviews here:

Garmin Forerunner 15:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/g...th-review.html
    Fitbit Surge:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/f...th-review.html
    Garmin Vivofit:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/g...it-review.html
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I know this thread is a little old, but I'm wondering if anyone has other thoughts?

I currently use my phone to track my running with MapMyRun. That seems to work pretty well, but DH suggested a running watch would be useful too. Does it add a lot of utility vs. your phone (which I would carry anyway)? I like that MapMyRun talks to MyFitnessPal.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love my Garmin watch. It has a ton of features that I don't know how to use yet but the thing I really love is that you can set intervals if you do run/walk. It vibrates and beeps on the intervals which I love. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434237485.870267.jpg
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

Which Garmin watch is that?

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cilantromapuche View Post
    Which Garmin watch is that?
    It's the Garmin Forerunner 220.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05