Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default I'm really hungry. :(

This is really a bitching post but it didn't seem right for the bp forum.

Im hungry. That's it. I'm really, really hungry. I had a test done 2 weeks ago at the hospital showing that to lose weight I couldn't consume more than 1500 calories per day. Between 1200-1500 was my "lose weight" zone. Well, I'm keeping it at 1500 calories but I am hungry. I am eating strategically- lots of fats and protein, low carbs, tons of fiber. I am sipping hot herbal tea all day long. I'm spreading out my meals and eating at wise times. I'm focusing on either meals high in calcium or meals high in iron since I'm anemic. BUT I AM SO HUNGRY ALL THE TIME! I know, I know wah wah dieting sucks just suck it up. But I was bulimic in college. if I restrict too much, I'm afraid I'll binge. And then feel remorse. And restrict too much. I haven't been bulimic in 20 years but I'd hate to go back to that.

Ok, rant over. I'll suck it up.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Does coffee work? I reach for a cup of coffee (with some half and half in it) when I need to consume something.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know if this will work for you, but when I'm limiting calories, I like to save the bulk of my calories for dinner so I only eat about 400-500 calories until dinner time. I keep hunger at bay by eating low-carb throughout the day and then I eat carbs at dinner when I eat more calories. So I might eat a hard-boiled egg for breakfast and a protein bar and some veggies at lunch. Eating low-carb definitely staves off hunger and then I don't dwell as much on food because I know I will be eating more at dinner.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I hear you. I do low carb - and I have to have an "unlimited" food for those times. Maybe try to find a guilt free food within your plan - that can be your go-to for those times?

My go-to lately has been eggs (cooked any style (usually fried in butter w/cheese) and sugar free jello (usually with whipped cream). The eggs satisfy my hunger for a meal, and the jello will usually satisfy a sweet tooth. Like above - i also DEPEND on coffee to satisfy me. I do low carb - so i can do it with HEAVY cream and splenda - and it is dessert-worthy.

What sources are you getting your fiber from? Alot of those could have hidden carbs - sparking the hunger maybe? I find doing low-carb actually decreases my hunger and alot of cravings. Maybe it's because i get TIRED of meats, eggs and proteins.

Dieting SUCKS - plain and simple.

How long have you been at it? If you can hang in there for a couple of weeks, your body should adjust, and you should feel much less hungry. I agree that low carb is the way to go. I load my calories early, though. I eat the bulk of my calories mid morning and lunch and keep dinner light. I do not stick to meals. I eat breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch, a mid afternoon snack, and a light dinner. I pad everything out with a ton of vegetables and often have some homemade chicken broth, sometimes with veggies in it, as a snack or part of a meal. It's filling to have soup and then eat a huge salad, and it's very low calorie. I can't eat little bitty portions. I have to feel like I'm eating FOOD! I have lots of cooked veggies in the fridge, because I prefer cooked veggies. I fill up on veggies. Instead of sides like rice and pasta, I do puréed cauliflower or riced cauliflower. I can eat lots more protein if I'm not wasting 200 calories on a cup of rice, and the veggies are filling, because I can eat a ton of them. Caffeine is a good appetite suppressant, so maybe replace some of your herbal tea with black tea or coffee. Honestly, though, I would talk to a nutritionist. If you're super hungry, there's no point to your doing this diet. You may lose the weight now, but you're not going to be happy feeling hungry for the rest of your life, so as soon as you start eating again, you'll be back where you started. You need to find a way of eating that can work for you on a permanent basis. If it's been more than two weeks, talk to the nutritionist again. S/he may have some good ideas.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I feel your pain.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Are you getting in some dairy? Cheese or yogurt make a good snack. For lunch I have one serving of yogurt, a lf cheese stick and two pieces of fruit. I find that if I am very careful with my kcals for bkfst to lunch, I can have a dinner that I'm not having to skimp over. A few almonds or cashews help hold me over or a piece of fruit I'm late afternoon. For bkfst I usually have eggs or something else under 250 kcal. I drink lots of water all day and two cups of coffee. I know you're trying low carb, but popcorn that's not full of salt and butter is OK, esp if you need something crunchy. A spoon of hummus of pb is sometimes a good snack for me too.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I find that stove top popcorn using coconut oil is very filling. I am having the opposite problem though...I have been swimming 5 days a week and have to force myself to eat before a swim. I just can't eat if I am not hungry. BUT, I haven't been losing weight either. MFP has me @ 1200 calories and I rarely go over. Something is just not adding up.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Where are you physically located for your waking hours? Could it be that this is always on your mind and that is causing too much focus on it? Is there a way to not think about what you are eating other than at meal times and really distracting yourself? The days that I am in my house are often hard for me not to snack if I am in my kitchen. I love our kitchen - it is a focal point of our house and it is really big, a great homework place, the computer is there and friends gather there. But I can't be there and be hungry. Being at the office is much better for me to stay on my plan, and when I leave work, I often go do stuff at my DD's school or after school activities. If people aren't snacking/eating, then I am not thinking about it either.

Just some thoughts. It should be easier by now since you have stuck with the lower cals. I would try to make some changes to your daily location and see if that helps to keep your mind off of food.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I feel your pain. When I first went GF I was starving all day long...like stark raving mad hungry. It took a few weeks for that to go away. MFP has me at 1200 calories before any exercise. I find I can usually do 1300-1400 without having to put much thought into it, but that means I do have to burn at least 200 calories a day in exercise to meet my target. I do have days still when I'm hungry...definitely slower days at work I tend to think about it more...and I find that chewing gum helps. There's flavor. My mouth is busy. It just seems to work at keeping me from snacking.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast