Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    My trainer insists that I might as well not bother working out if I haven't had 20grams of protein beforehand. I don't know if this is the latest research, but she's always insistent that I will not build muscle unless I have that at least that much protein in my system. A cup of Greek Yogurt has 12-14 grams of protein, so that alone would not be enough. A can of tuna has 20.
    I do not know your trainer's background (and I am NOT a nutrition or strength training expert by any means, though I do have a PhD in exercise physiology) but unless you have a goal of being a body builder/power lifter/etc. I would say she is being overly dramatic. I did a 5 minute search just because this interested me, and a review article from 2013 suggests that muscle protein synthesis does increase with protein intake, but plateaus at 20 grams of protein. So yes, you do need to consume some protein, and 20+ grams is fine if that fits into a healthy diet plan for you, but you would certainly still be able to build some muscle with less than that. If you are happy with what you are doing and it is working for you, then keep doing it! But don't feel guilty or like you are wasting your time exercising just because you may have only gotten 10-15 grams in sometimes
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Chobani fat-free plain yogurt has 22g/cup.

I had posted above about more protein, too. Like I said, I aim for around 150g/day, with snacks having a minimum of 10g each. I snack several times a day, plus the three meals. My downfall is when I start eating more carbs/sugar, like I did this winter. Some carbs, good. Bowl full of carbs, not good.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    Chobani fat-free plain yogurt has 22g/cup.

I had posted above about more protein, too. Like I said, I aim for around 150g/day, with snacks having a minimum of 10g each. I snack several times a day, plus the three meals. My downfall is when I start eating more carbs/sugar, like I did this winter. Some carbs, good. Bowl full of carbs, not good.
    I meant per "cup" which is half the amount of an actual cup. 4 or 5 oz. vs. 8. If you actually measured out a cup, it would be almost double the protein. The OP was talking about eating Chobani with fruit. I assumed she was buying the small containers so was referring to those. We use the plain yogurt in the big tub and cut fruit into it, but the OP was considering doing something different.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7