Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You can strain any plain yogurt to get a greek yogurt like texture. I don't buy non fat/low fat yogurt but I am sure it would work to strain that too. The leftover whey can be used in lots of things like baking, oatmeal, etc.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would change your breakfast to coconut milk, almonds or cashews plus frozen fruit. Thanks Latia!

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The MedPage article was fantastic. Add me to the chorus on here that if it were me, I would cut the sugars from the breakfast and lunch bread.

But OP, only you can decide what you want to do and what sacrifices you want to try. It sounds like you love what you are currently eating, but you have to decide if you are willing to keep that up (especially if you feel good energy wise) and just be a little overweight. I can't recall how old you are, but it may be that you can continue to eat moderate sugar and not be into the throws of 'oncoming insulin resistence' yet.

I will say that for years, up until age 38 or so, I had no problem eating as much sugar as I wanted (which wasn't a ton frankly), controlling it, not overeating, and keeping the weight off. I exercised a lot but it was maintainable, I was happy, not low energy, etc. Really, not until the last few years have I seen a dramatic shift. I have read a ton of books, frankly all due to first mention on here by some of the same posters in this and other threads, by the leading health experts who have convincing (IMO) scientific reason that sugar makes people fat. And I think particularly women, and particularly women in the flux of hormone change leading to perimenopause. I have read those books, and really truly funamentally believe that artificially fruit flavored greek yogurt is not good for you, regardless of the protein. My DD came home last week having watched "FED UP" in school - and we all watched it over the weekend. The sugar in processed food is tremendous. That wasn't there in those amounts when I was a child.

So OP, and others here - everyone has to make up their own decision. But the fact is, the trend is very clear that the Standard American Diet is leading to diabetes and a ton of other wholly preventable diseases like cancers. People can choose not to believe that and try moderation. But I am convinced, and as such, we eat very low sugar except when there are special celebratory events. I don't count calories, I eat lots of good fats (I eat a whole avecado for lunch every day) and I find maintaining a healthy weight pretty easy (except when I vary this). Every friend I have who has slimmed down has done it by cutting out the sugar, upping the protein some (not a ton, for we can only metabolize 20-30 grams of protein at a time), and eating an abundance of healthy fats. I just don't think "everything in moderation" works for the SAD.

If I were your IRL friend OP and you lived down the street and you really wanted to make a change, increase energy and lose some weight, I would tell you to focus on protein, veggies and fat at every meal, and add in a piece of fruit and small amount of protein and/or fat for an afternoon snack.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I would change your breakfast to coconut milk, almonds or cashews plus frozen fruit. Thanks Latia!
    Do you do this as a smoothie?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree with everyone, front load your day with higher protein...Right now I'm eating two eggs topped with with mushrooms, pico, one slice of bacon, bit of cheese and avocado on the side...keeps me full for 5 hours! I also agree, more veggies, less fruit, bread only for special occasions..

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    No, like cereal. It would be a great smoothie though. I can't put nuts in my vitamix - I don't want to contaminate it.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

One more thing, OP, you mentioned the bran muffin being needed. Perhaps for fiber? I had some constipationissues (even though I would go every day) and ended up having a colonoscopy a few years ago. The dr. that did that advised me to take sugar free Citricel every morning, and separately I began taking magnesium (for headaches/migraines during hormone sways, and after reading that many many of us are magnesium deficient). Now I am just taking the magnesium, and no more constipation issues ever. That plus lots of veggies. I am not sure that bran in a muffin really will add more than veggies anyway. And I also have berries (frozen blueberries and walnuts are my breakfast staple).

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    No, it's instead of greek yogurt and I had it daily during all my Whole30s. I buy the Natural Value coconut milk from Amazon (no weird ingredients added) and when it's in the fridge it gets nice and thick. So I'd do the coconut milk, frozen Costco berries, sliced toasted almonds, and shredded unsweetened coconut. It is nice and thick. I think I only use a 1/4c of coconut milk or less.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I am not seeing how it is low on veggies or protein?
    It seemed low on protein to me, too. I eat at least 10g protein every time I eat something. I don't snack without protein. I eat 4-6oz meat every time I eat meat/chicken (lunch/dinner), including deli meats. But I aim for a high level of protein every day; 1g for each pound of my goal weight. I also eat at least a fistful of veggies for lunch and dinner.

I really like this guide: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'll agree with everyone else who says up your protein and lower your sugar.

If you're going to do greek yogurt then definitely do full fat and unsweetened. You'll only need a small amount to feel full. Add some frozen mixed berries and/or a drizzle of honey, spoonful of no sugar added jam, or a drop of liquid vanilla stevia.

I'd also add two eggs and either 2 pieces of bacon or canadian bacon/ham to your breakfast. Or make an omelet and throw in some leftover veggies from dinner.

For lunch, I'd do a huge salad with lots of chicken and nuts or seeds (I've been eating a salad with sunflower and pumpkin seeds every day lately).

For dinner I'd make sure half you plate is veggies and then do a nice serving of protein.

If you need a snack but don't want to do nuts, how about beef jerky, string cheese, salami with cheese slices, or a piece of ham rolled up with cream cheese.

Oh and stick to low sugar fruits. Berries are the best choice. I also like cutting up half an apple and tossing it with cinnamon. So good and cinnamon keeps your blood sugar low. If you're taking iron like I am then it's good to take it with vitamin C so I do eat half an orange with my iron pills at dinner sometimes. You do not want to drink tea or coffee with your meals or with your iron pills as it prevents iron absorption.
    Last edited by essnce629; 04-30-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast