Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Potty training

Default Potty training

Long story short, the pediatrician says we need to PT DD2 (18 mos) and we need to do it asap. Any tips? She is dry overnight occasionally so I know she has some capacity....her language skills are good as well so she can tell me she needs to go and has on occasion. She seems awfully little for this, though, and I've never done this under pressure like we are now. She has to train. Any tips?
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Umm, I don't think you can rush this! What did the pediatrician say about how to make this happen?

If there is a medical reason why you need to do this, than you need to find a children's hospital (or someone to help you). 18 months is much too young to expect potty training...

She's withholding her poop leading to really, really serious constipation. It just started two weeks ago and it's awful.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My oldest was 2 and my nieces were 20 months but they wanted to. Will she drink diluted prune juice? I did prune/ apple with mine helped keep things going smooth. Mine liked plums and cooked prunes ( you simmer them until they puff back up )
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would think potty training could make it worse. Both of my boys took awhile to figure out how to poop on the potty during training, and held it for awhile. My oldest actually continued to poop in a pull up for about 8 months after being pee trained. My youngest only took about two weeks to poop on the potty after being pee trained.

Personally I would be in no rush to potty train her if she isn't ready. When she is ready you will be able to train her in a matter of days fairly painlessly. If you have to force her it will be a long battle.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think the pressure to do on an unfamiliar potty what she won't do in a diaper can't possibly help.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My first 2 boys trained by 18 and 19 mo, no problem. Ds1 would only poop on the potty from a very young age (before he was 1yo) and would otherwise withhold. I suggest you do a google search for "elimination communication" since they give the best advice, IMO, for PT-ing younger toddlers. Also, I think its important to use a little potty and not just a toilet insert so she has support for her feet/legs while she is pushing.

I would begin by offering the potty very regularly and make it fun. Every time you would usually change a diaper, offer the potty instead. We used transitions to insert using the potty into our daily routine: right after waking up in the morning, after breakfast and before getting dressed, before leaving the house, before am snack, before lunch, before/after nap, before dinner, before bath and before bedtime). The potty was out and available in the bathroom at all times. Make potty time fun--read books, watch tv, sing songs together, etc.. I have been known to put a little potty in front of the tv if I have a kid that I know needs to poop to encourage sitting longer.
    If you offer consistently, then you will likely see the idea click within about 2 weeks, possibly sooner. The easiest times to experience success are just after waking up (am or naptimes). Offer praise and encouragement. We didn't use rewards at those ages other than hugs, kisses, high-fives. That was enough motivation for our kids. If you have other questions feel free to PM me.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I think the pressure to do on an unfamiliar potty what she won't do in a diaper can't possibly help.
    Absolutely correct.

I don't post here that often any more but I had to respond to this.

Get a new pediatrician.

A two week bout of constipation is NOT a reason to prematurely force potty training. Toddler constipation is COMMON. There are many remedies for it.

My now 6.5 yo has a DX'd bladder and bowel disorder. One contributing factors is believed to be forcing potty training too early. (She was in a full time daycare that *required* potty training start immediately on their 2nd birthday).

Please, please, please take the time to research this and get a second opinion. I would give almost anything to go back and do things differently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...age-three.html

https://www.facebook.com/itsnoaccident

Feel free to PM me for more info.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My oldest had severe constipation, potty training would have never changed the problem. In fact she PT'ed on her own by 2 and the problem lasted until she was 5. The problem was physical and it took miralax and a change in diet to and time for her to grow and her body to mature and time for the muscles to begin to work in a synchronized fashion for the constipation to end. You may not need a new pediatrician, but his is a really, really extreme treatment for a common problem without having a certain identification of the root cause. It has only been 2 weeks. If you child was 1 and had this issue, would the pedi want you to potty train. Ask for a GI referral first, I think you need a second opinion. Sure you can try to potty train, but if it stresses the kid out, it will only make things works. Can kids potty train at 18 months, sure. Can kids be successful under dire pressure to potty train, maybe. Will this solve your problem, maybe. Will this be stressful for you and your kid, hell Yes. Are there other options, yes.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    Absolutely correct.

I don't post here that often any more but I had to respond to this.

Get a new pediatrician.

A two week bout of constipation is NOT a reason to prematurely force potty training. Toddler constipation is COMMON. There are many remedies for it.

Please, please, please take the time to research this and get a second opinion.
    ITA, I don't see how potty training will help with withholding. I can't count the number post I have read here about children withholding BMs when potty training. If she won't poop in her diaper, what makes your ped think she will poop on the potty?
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast