Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Italian gluten free meal?

I am bringing a meal to a family this Wed. night. It's part of a multi-week endeavor, so Wed has been designated Italian night. One member of the family is gluten free, so they've requested her portion be set aside. I was just thinking maybe I should make the whole meal gluten free, only when I think Italian I think pasta! I've not heard good things about gluten free pasta, so wondering if anyone here had ideas? They requested no eggplant, sausage or fish, but they love chicken, turkey, beef, fresh veggies, salad. Thursday is soup and salad night, so that's a no go. Help??
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

http://www.sidewalkshoes.com/2009/09...-caponata.html

I always eat this without pasta and it tastes awesome, it is also my go to vegan or vegetarian Italian entree.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do a chicken parm without breadcrumbs.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

(caveat...I don't do gluten free so I have no clue where gluten is "hiding", but here's what comes to mind...) You could do a "chicken parmesan" minus the breading on the chicken: Cook thin/pounded out chicken breasts in marinara sauce, then cover with parmesan and mozzerella and broil to get the cheese melty and a little browned. I'd send it with a nice green salad (even if it's salad night the next day, salad is good multiple days!) that has lots of veggies but no croutons, etc. I would probably send it with some nice fresh fruit salad -- not exactly Italian, but delicious in this summer fruit season!
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Do a chicken parm without breadcrumbs.
    Can chicken parm be eaten with rice and not seem weird? I've never made it before.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Chicken parm can be eaten alone, without a carb. You can serve it with sauteed spinach (garlic, salt and olive oil) or a combination of sauteed veggies. Chicken parm is not always served with pasta. However, if you want, you could grab a loaf of good italian bread and send that along.

ETA:

For chicken parm, dip pounded chicken cutlets in egg and shredded Parmesan cheese. Saute in olive oil, both sides, for a bit (middle with still be pink). While the chicken is cooking, prepare the pan. Either use a gluten free sauce (Rao's or DG) or make your own. Cover the bottom of a baking dish in sauce. Add the half cooked chicken breasts. Add mozzarella to the top of the chicken, add more sauce and cover with more mozz. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or so.
    Last edited by Kindra178; 05-03-2015 at 09:49 PM.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Chicken cacciatore? Here's a paleo version: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/37393550...ken-cacciatore
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Chicken parmesan is great, you could serve that with a salad and maybe polenta? My kids adore polenta.

Okay, so I went to look at a couple of recipes of chicken parm. One was Ina Garten and another was a random Food Network recipe. They both look a bit greasy, and this family wants to avoid greasy. I figured I would sub cornstarch for flour and skip breadcrumbs but is there some way I could just bake the chicken instead of pan frying with all that oil?

ETA: oops found one recipe on MFP!
    Last edited by maestramommy; 05-03-2015 at 09:55 PM.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm gluten free and I serve tinkyada and bionaturae pasta to non gluten-free people all the time. Very well received.

We also really like zucchini noodles if you happen to have a spiral cutter thing. That's usually how we serve "spaghetti" and meatballs.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast