Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default I know this makes me a bad person.

BIL is on his 3rd marriage. He is super moody and weird and creepy. Naturally, so are the girls he ends up with. He has been living back east ever since before DH and I were married but recently lost his job and got divorced and moved back in with my in-laws because he had no money and nowhere else to go. I'll say it again--he is creepy. And I hate having him only 20 mins away. Well, he has been here for less than a year but is already re-married. To a girl who was 7 months pregnant with some other man's baby when they met. I have never met her. They have been married for 3 weeks and she had the baby 2 days ago. And now my inbox is getting slammed with email after email from him of the baby THAT ISN'T EVEN HIS!! I mean, all babies and sweet, and yay! Congrats, momma. But, seriously, I actually really don't care about seeing her baby because I don't even know her! I don't need to/want to know any birthing stories and I just think the 'intimate' professional family pictures they took of all 3 of them are stupid because it is not his child. Erg. I shouldn't be so bugged by this but I am. It is the 3rd marriage of his and the first 2 ended in total failure, after having sucked a ton money out of my in laws. Forgive me for not jumping for joy now. I can already hear MIL complaining over how much money he will be asking for 'because he has to take care of the baby'. I swear he just uses his marriages/kids to guilt his parents into giving him money.

Oh, and I have a question-- the baby has his last name. Since they were legally married when she was born, then does that make the baby legally his even though it isn't biologically his?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In some states, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    In some states, yes.
    Yes, this. Child support requirements and all. It's usually a legal presumption which can be overturned, but...

That sounds like a train wreck!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Every state is different The birth certificate is a legal document he may or may not be listed as the father. You can give a baby any last name you want.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    That sounds like a train wreck!
    ITA!
    OP, I don't think your feeling on this make you a bad person.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is your post correct that your BIL only knew the woman he married about one month? That's very quick!

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You're not a bad person, I'm a bad person because I want to hear updates.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ceepa View Post
    You're not a bad person, I'm a bad person because I want to hear updates.
    Then I'm bad too. Does the mom know who the biological dad is?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Then I'm bad too. Does the mom know who the biological dad is?
    I have no idea....
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Oh, and I have a question-- the baby has his last name. Since they were legally married when she was born, then does that make the baby legally his even though it isn't biologically his?
    As others have said, it varies from state to state. My mother's last husband married a chick who was pregnant with someone else's kid, and they gave that child the husband's last name, but biological father was listed on the birth certificate and had to pay child support. However, I'd guess *most* people aren't going to do that, which means if (when) this marriage potentially goes south, your brother may likely be on the hook for child support for the next 18 years. I recall my brother (not married to the mother) signing a "affidavit of paternity" for his daughter without ever having a blood test... and both he and the baby mama were swingers. There's *no* doubt the child was his--holy cow, sometimes I think she was cloned from my brother as she gets older! But, at the time, she looked like a normal, cookie-cutter, old man baby. There was no distinguishing features that "proved" parentage. I believe that many states have an "assumed parentage" statute, where it basically says, "if you are married, you are the father unless you prove otherwise in x amount of time."
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast