Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moths...

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Moths...

I know I haven't been around much lately, but I'm hoping that those of you who may have had this problem can reassure me that you were able to handle it. I did a search and I know that several of you have dealt with moths. Posting in the BP because this is also a vent.

Last Fall, I started noticing a few moths in my closet. We went through and cleaned thoroughly, sprayed bug spray, had everything washed on hot, bagged and put in the freezer for several days, or dry cleaned. Spent a fortune on dry cleaning. We did the vacuuming, some cedar... all the things you're supposed to do Had to do this a couple of times and then they seemed to go away.

Well, they hibernate in the winter. and they're back.

DH called three different exterminators. Orkin and two local companies. Orkin gave a quote over the phone and said they would come out and spray monthly. They mentioned nothing about dry cleaning, bagging, etc. DH said they were super pushy and wanted a CC# right there and then and were totally rude when he said he wanted to touch base with his wife and was getting other quotes. They even called back an hour later to talk to him a second time.

Both local companies came to our house. Both said our infestation wasn't very bad. We can't find any cocoons or webbing anywhere. Just the moths. We've got traps set, so we know they're there. I haven't even found any holes in my clothes this time, though I tossed a bunch of stuff last fall when I first found them because of the holes. Both local companies said they would set traps as a first step, and that we could do that ourselves. They were very honest. They said moths are one of the hardest pests to get rid of because you can't just find a colony and poison them. It's just constant vigilance. They told us to wash/dryclean everything and put it in bags. Vacuum. clean all the skirting boards. All the stuff we have been doing. I've bought tons of closet hanging bags and within the next couple days everything I own will either be on my body, in the wash, or in a bag.

Of course, we've now seen them in other areas of the house. Both boys' bedrooms. In the hall upstairs. In both upstairs bathrooms. We have traps set all over. Those only get the males though because they're the ones attracted to the pheromones. I've spent a fortune on closet bags, and will be spending a ton on dry cleaning. Again. I'm so unbelievably frustrated.

If you've had this happen, tell me you were able to get rid of them. I want to nip this in the bud before it gets worse. I'm so disgusted.
    Last edited by mommylamb; 05-10-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh! No experience in the house, but I had moths in my previous car of all places! They were persistent too. I finally figured out that they were feasting a bit of cereal that one of my DC had spilled ages ago. They loved the corn (I think it was Kix cereal) and oats (Cheerios). Unfortunately, it didn't take much to keep them alive and well. I finally took everything out that I could--all the car seats, mats, books, papers, junk, etc.--and vacuumed several times to make sure I got everything. And of course, killed all the ones I ever did see flying in the car. They finally, finally were gone.

Any chance of something similar for you guys? Some unknown source of food for them?

Hope it can resolve quickly!
    K

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No experience either, but I'm sorry! That really does sound like an awful, frustrating problem!!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Just wanted to say hi, mommylamb, nice to see you! I'm sorry about the moth problem, that is awful. If you are seeing moths flying around but don't actually have holes in your clothing, then you might have pantry moths rather than clothes moths. I *think* that's good news. The clothes moths are the ones where the larvae eat your clothes as they're developing, and then you don't really see the adults (which don't eat your clothes). Can you take turns hanging closet items outside in bright light, rotating through one closet at a time, now that spring is here? Moths hate light. Here's a bit more on these two points (probably nothing new to you): http://www.marthastewart.com/264609/...f-mothproofing

Sorry you're experiencing this! I hope someone here can help you out more.

for Sandy Hook

Unfortunately, I am 100% positive that they are cloth moths. While I haven't found damage so far this spring, I did find holes in sweaters last fall when we first discovered the problem and had to chuck a lot of things. AND, (this is gross) I found the larva in two of my sweaters. We did a pretty thorough cleaning of everything in the fall and then they went away, so we thought they were gone until they showed up again, and I read that they are dormant over the winter. If we continue to see them, I think we are going to have to resort to a bug fogger. We have cats though so would need to get them out of the house. It's a PITA. Unfortunately, we will need to do the boys rooms most likely too. I've seen a couple there. I am pulling my hair out and obsessing over it. I dream about killing them and cleaning all the time now. It's bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh! So frustrating. How about using some of the dry cleaning bags as clothing bags? That might save you some money. MIL had to deal with pantry moths, and they were a pita. Huge hugs!!!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I haven't been able to buy any cashmere or wool blend sweaters in the last two years because of the moth issues, but thankfully since I stopped buying wool and cashmere the moth problem has really gone away in my bedroom closet. Thankfully I don't live somewhere where I need to rely on cashmere or wool during the winter, but I still miss my cashmere sweaters. I used to store my sweaters in bags during the non winter months, but not when I wore them.

(Glad to see that you are still around)
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Do you have wool carpeting? Could they be in there/ under there?

Default Moths...

We haven't replaced the carpet since we moved in 9 years ago so I'm honestly not sure what it is, though I think it's synthetic. These things are like phantoms. I'm not sure where they're coming from! We are having our ducts cleaned tomorrow to make sure they aren't munching on cat fur in the ducts.

After last fall, I bought a hanging enclosed shelving set with cedar shelves for my sweaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We had moths in my office, and they were bad. I used some of the sticky traps, and it took a couple of months, but we stopped the problem -they must have all gotten stuck and died. I'm not sure if they were cloth moths, but I would try that first before the pesticides. I got the traps at solutions.com, but they don't seem to have them anymore. What about something like this?

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/gr...fn5xoCG_Dw_wcB
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast