Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Moths...

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I had pantry moths that wouldn't go away. You have to break the breeding cycle. I used the sticky traps and killed any live moths I saw. I tried eco-friendly ways to clean out the pantry, and the only thing that worked was to use insect spray. I pulled everything out of the pantry (I had already thrown out a lot of food and rest was in containers), had DS out of the house, put a respirator mask on and sprayed the pantry. I let it sit for a couple of days, then I cleaned it.

I then put whole cloves and bay leaves in little net bags (got from Micheal's in the wedding section) - my mom swears by bay leaves to keep pantry moths away. I also have some bay leaves taped under the lid of the flour etc. They may work as a deterrent for closet moths.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I do have a lot of traps up in various places. They're the ones that are triangular and are baited with pheromone so that the males think they are in pursuit of a hot date and get stuck instead. I just want them gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have unfortunately had both pantry and clothes moths. For the clothes moth, I put all our sweaters in the freezer. We have quite a few so Just rotated them through. When they came out of the freezer I would place them each in a ziploc bag to store them. I put some in plastic storage boxes but that didn't keep the moths out so I stuck with ziploc bags. Check your carpet. We found them in our carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    We have unfortunately had both pantry and clothes moths. For the clothes moth, I put all our sweaters in the freezer. We have quite a few so Just rotated them through. When they came out of the freezer I would place them each in a ziploc bag to store them. I put some in plastic storage boxes but that didn't keep the moths out so I stuck with ziploc bags. Check your carpet. We found them in our carpet.
    Were you able to rid of them in the long run? Did you have to replace the carpet?

DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

[QUOTE=mommylamb;4107292]Were you able to rid of them in the long run? Did you have to replace the carpet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

We did. I froze and sealed all our sweaters first. We later replaced the carpet when I found them in the carpet.

[QUOTE=jgenie;4107303]
    Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    Were you able to rid of them in the long run? Did you have to replace the carpet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

We did. I froze and sealed all our sweaters first. We later replaced the carpet when I found them in the carpet.
    I'm so glad to hear that you got rid of them. Sorry about the carpet. Hoping we don't have to replace ours.

DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are dealing with pantry moths right now so I commiserate. I just happened to see this and thought there might be some useful tips. There are some good ideas in the comments as well.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-...of-fabr-109733

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2