Suzan is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Question Refuses Diaper at night

Okay all my mommy and daddy friends, I am looking for some tips here. So Little Miss is day potty trained. She now does not want to wear a diaper to sleep, however that does not work out well. So I wait til she is asleep and then put it on without waking her. In the middle of the night she wakes and takes it off weather is it wet or dry. Then if I don't catch it we have a mess. I have tried getting her to wear overnight diapers, pull-ups with dora or princesses. She wants NOTHING to do with a pull-up. lol Anyone have any suggestions...
    DD 3/2012 My Little Peanut

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Well, it's awesome she's ready to be out of diapers! But messes are less awesome....

Not a solution to keeping the diaper on, but have you tried taking her to the bathroom in the middle of the night/when you go to bed? For awhile when DD was newly out of diapers for nights, I would bring her to the bathroom just before I went to bed. I didn't really wake her -- I'd pick her up from bed, carry her to the bathroom, stand her up in front of the toilet, pull down her undies, put her on the potty -- sometime during this she'd wake up and be very groggy. I'd just encourage her to go, which she almost always would -- then I'd help her wipe, pull up undies, and carry her back to bed. She'd go right back to sleep. I found that the extra "pee break" in the middle of the night meant that she was often waking up dry in the morning.
    Lizi

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My DD was the same way. For a while I was letting her fall asleep in underwear and then sneaking a diaper on her and of course it didn't go well. Eventually I bought some cloth diapers that were like pullups and convinced her that they were nighttime underwear. Most mornings they were dry so I gave up on them after not too long.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Well, it's awesome she's ready to be out of diapers! But messes are less awesome....

Not a solution to keeping the diaper on, but have you tried taking her to the bathroom in the middle of the night/when you go to bed? For awhile when DD was newly out of diapers for nights, I would bring her to the bathroom just before I went to bed. I didn't really wake her -- I'd pick her up from bed, carry her to the bathroom, stand her up in front of the toilet, pull down her undies, put her on the potty -- sometime during this she'd wake up and be very groggy. I'd just encourage her to go, which she almost always would -- then I'd help her wipe, pull up undies, and carry her back to bed. She'd go right back to sleep. I found that the extra "pee break" in the middle of the night meant that she was often waking up dry in the morning.
    That is what we did with DS1 for about a year until he was able to go the whole night.

DS2 is doing something similar to your daughter, protesting the night diaper, but he doesn't pee when we take him at our bedtime, so we keep insisting...
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

The later night bathroom trip was a great suggestion! This is is probably a silly question, but will she wear a pull-up under or over undies? My daughter just wants the undies. She doesn't mind having the diaper underneath, and that way her beloved undies stay dry.

Suzan is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Those are all amazing suggestions. I will try them and see how it goes. Some times if you move her when she is sleeping she freaks out but it is worth a shot. I can't wait to give them a try. I will let you all know how it goes. lol
    DD 3/2012 My Little Peanut

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What about those super thick training undies? Maybe they would be thick enough to keep her jammies and bed sheets from getting wet.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)