Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Does this sound right to you?

DS is finishing 1st grade. I have had some problems in the past few months with his teacher and her responses to various behavior issues with DS and some other kids at school, in the classroom and on the playground. The other day at school, DS fell asleep for a few minutes at the very end of his 30 minute silent reading period. The night before he had been out late for a school performance, but went to bed right after arriving home. In response to him falling asleep, the teacher docked him 5 minutes of recess time. He has never fallen asleep in class before and in the grand scheme of things, 5 minutes is pretty minimal I know, but this didn't sit well with me. What do you think about this punishment?

FTR, I have no intent of engaging the teacher in a dialogue about this incident; we have had other more serious issues we won't be addressing either. Just hoping to end the year and be done with it!
    K

I would be upset and say something as I think the recess docking is ridiculous especially for a first grader and for falling asleep that is outrageous. I am usually in the leave it alone camp, but this would bother me.

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That would bother me a lot. I understand not wanting to say something when you've got bigger fish to fry, but it would be hard for me to sit on that one. Who on earth punishes a child for being tired??

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

What on earth is that supposed to accomplish? That would bother me.
    My 1st grader dozed off during school last week (first/only time). No punishment, note home, I learned because she told me as part if a funny story. It is nit a big deal if it's not a pattern and it's certainly not a punishable offense.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I agree that punishing a child for being tired is out of place. However, she might have felt he should try harder to stay awake and I don't think that's unreasonable. Also, she presumably made her choice without knowing the whole history of his evening before. She might have thought it was his choice/fault that he was tired and felt she was motivating him to go to bed on time/earlier.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

I would not dock recess time for that (because that would be a punishment), but probably would send the student to the nurse to nap during recess and recharge their batteries. And I would let the parent know.
    Green Tea, mom to three

for this to be a first offense, it seems off. She docked time from the one activity of the day that would invigorate him!
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Definitely seems strange to me. I agree with a pp - I might send him to the nurse in case he wasn't well. It warrants a note home but not docking recess time.

At this point though, I'd probably just let it go and move on.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

Yes it would bother me. If you're close to the end of the year and already frustrated then best to let it slide and get the year finished.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I agree that punishing a child for being tired is out of place. However, she might have felt he should try harder to stay awake and I don't think that's unreasonable. Also, she presumably made her choice without knowing the whole history of his evening before. She might have thought it was his choice/fault that he was tired and felt she was motivating him to go to bed on time/earlier.
    He's got to be 6 or 7. Are there really kids that age who decide when they go to bed?
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast