Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

That would definitely bug me, but this close to the end of the year I'd let it slide, assuming it didn't become a pattern. I'm a huge believer that recess is the very. last. thing to take away from a young student, and that doing so is only going to cause worse behavior issues. And seriously? Falling asleep after a half hour of silent reading is not a behavior issue. He was tired, and not even through his own choices. It's not like he was out partying, he was at a school performance. Seems like the teacher could have had a little compassion and sent him to the nurse to rest. (I will never forget my 12th grade english teacher who wrote me a note to go to the nurse instead of his class one day during show week when we had been at rehearsal until well after midnight the night before. My locker was right next to his classroom and I was in tears before school had even started that day, I was so tired. Like your DS, I had little choice - I was the lead and the director was in charge of how late those rehearsals went! A little kindness makes a very lasting impression.)

I'm not so thrilled with some of the responses to DD2's behavior issues by her 1st grade teacher either (missing recess time, being late for lunch to finish work, etc.) but have chosen not to address them because they're annoying but not an every day (or even every week) issue. I think this time of year is tough on students and teachers alike. Looking forward to a fresh start next year!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

I waited to see what others would say, since I don't have a child in elementary school. I totally get just wanting to get through the school year, and not bringing this up right now. But once the year is over, I would go straight to the school, and report this teacher. I would get with other parents, collect inputs, and present a list of this teacher's problems to the principal and/or the district.
    Last edited by Still-in-Shock; 05-18-2015 at 09:14 PM.
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    He's got to be 6 or 7. Are there really kids that age who decide when they go to bed?
    Seriously! It not like he was out clubbing. I don't get what the point of punishing him was. Is there a no sleeping rule? Maybe I don't understand the definition of quiet time.

In general I think docking recess time is the dumbest possible punishment.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

That is harsh and it would not sit well with me. But I would probably let it slide given it's the end of the school year. She should have sent him to the nurse in case he wasn't feeling well, not dock recess time.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I agree that punishing a child for being tired is out of place. However, she might have felt he should try harder to stay awake and I don't think that's unreasonable. Also, she presumably made her choice without knowing the whole history of his evening before. She might have thought it was his choice/fault that he was tired and felt she was motivating him to go to bed on time/earlier.
    Whatever the reason for being tired, it's not her place to punish a child for what happens at home.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That is just too ridiculous. I'm sorry. I probably wouldn't say anything either but sounds a lot like DS2's teacher this year. I did get really mad when he had to spend his entire recess in the classroom because I hadn't returned the spring picture packet (which I didn't ask for and didn't want) yet. Let's forget for one second that the packet wasn't something that I wanted or asked for, or that the due date to the return the unsolicited picture packet was two days IN THE FUTURE, but I was pretty mad that DS2 had to stay in for recess because of "my" supposed infraction. Yeah, I'm feeling a little bitter about that one!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Seriously! It not like he was out clubbing. I don't get what the point of punishing him was. Is there a no sleeping rule? Maybe I don't understand the definition of quiet time.

I think most reasons that teachers take away recess is pretty lame, this case especially. I know that it DOES work for a subset of kids that misbehave though! Like DS2. He is fully capable of behaving in class (i.e. he doesn't have any attention issues unlike DS1) but finds that the threat of taking away recess is strong enough to make him behave when he'd probably rather goof around with his friends! I know that isn't a popular opinion but teachers have to do something! BUT for a sleepy kid? Come on!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd be fine with what Green Tea said but not what your teacher did.

FWIW, my teacher friend gave me some advice that has been useful- most teachers want to know things that could affect your kiddo's day. I don't send updates/ heads up for a lot but I do if I think the teacher should know about a reason my kiddo could be extra tired/ distracted/ upset/ restless...

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post

I agree! And I would say something. That's an absolutely insane punishment. Sounds like the teacher needs the year to be over ASAP, but no need to take it out on the kids!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS3 has fallen asleep more than once at school. He has trouble sleeping and wakes very early. In addition his medication can make him sleepy. It usually happens after a break or when the time changes and sleep patterns are off.

The only thing that has ever happened is that I get an e-mail from the teacher letting me know and they sometimes send him to the nurse. One time, she let him sleep until recess and woke him to make sure he didn't miss that. I would be ticked if they punished him for it.

I do get, though, that you may not want to make waves over a 5 min issue this late in the year. I'm sorry she was not nice to your DS.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I teach kinder, and at least once a week I have a kid fall asleep during the quiet reading time. I typically just let them sleep, as I figure if they can sleep through all the noise in a kinder classroom, they must be pretty tired. I've never punished a kid for it. Unless they wake up seeming like they have a fever, or complain of not feeling well, I don't send them to the nurse either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast