Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for all the feedback. I too felt it was way too harsh. The teacher was at the performance and watched him perform, so she definitely could understand the reason he was tired.

She is a very young teacher with no kids or her own who hasn't much experience with younger grades. I am letting it go. We have had much bigger problems that I have addressed a bit with the administration and some emailing with the teacher. Ready to move on and hope for a much better year next year!
    Last edited by KpbS; 05-19-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
    K

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    She is a very young teacher with no kids or her own who hasn't much experience with younger grades. I am letting it go. We have had much bigger problems that I have addresses a bit with the administration and some emailing with the teacher. Ready to move on and hope for a much better year next year!
    Good point about the teacher being young. Not to say that is a bad thing at all, but life experiences could definitely play a role. Our oldest DS had a similar experience with his first grade teacher- she was very strict. Fast forward to her getting married and having children of her own, she seems a bit more relaxed in her teaching style when DS2 had her for first grade.

I also wanted to add that I feel taking away recess time for falling asleep is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I teach kinder, and at least once a week I have a kid fall asleep during the quiet reading time. I typically just let them sleep, as I figure if they can sleep through all the noise in a kinder classroom, they must be pretty tired. I've never punished a kid for it.
    I am so glad to read this! I just can not imagine punishing a child for falling asleep during quiet time. There have been times I've tried my darndest to stay awake (like during a movie I really wanted to see) but just couldn't. I can't imagine a kid having much success at it.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it's more shocking that she gave first graders 30 minutes of silent reading time? Seems extremely lazy on her part. I bet she had some year end stuff she had to complete. I would definitely engage on this. I would also address with the teacher the appropriateness of a 30 minute silent reading time for 6-7 year olds.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd be pissed!! But with your context, I'd bite my tongue. It's not a kid's fault if he/she is tired and nods off!! Geez louise!!! Send a note home if it's a consistent thing (to let parent know child is consistently tired in class and may need more sleep) but for a one-time thing the day after a late school performance? RIDICULOUS. Even if the teacher didn't know about the late performance.

Now off to read replies

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Any time I had a kid fall asleep in my class, I emailed the parent. Why? Because I was concerned that the child might be sick. I cannot fathom taking recess away.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    DS is finishing 1st grade. I have had some problems in the past few months with his teacher and her responses to various behavior issues with DS and some other kids at school, in the classroom and on the playground. The other day at school, DS fell asleep for a few minutes at the very end of his 30 minute silent reading period. The night before he had been out late for a school performance, but went to bed right after arriving home. In response to him falling asleep, the teacher docked him 5 minutes of recess time. He has never fallen asleep in class before and in the grand scheme of things, 5 minutes is pretty minimal I know, but this didn't sit well with me. What do you think about this punishment?

FTR, I have no intent of engaging the teacher in a dialogue about this incident; we have had other more serious issues we won't be addressing either. Just hoping to end the year and be done with it!
    DS2 is almost 7 (beg. June) and should be in 1st grade. However, we homeschool and had always planned to redshirt him as he's adhd. Turns out he's dyslexic too. So holding him back a year was the best thing we could have done for him. Every day at 1pm that kid is asleep. It doesn't matter if we're out running errands or here at home, that kids eyes will close by 1pm. I have never doubted my choice in homeschooling him because he confirms that we did the right thing every single day. BTW, I'm an adult and I'd fall asleep reading if I'd been out late the night before too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3