Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Open Floor Plan with co-workers every sound = annoying!

I just have to vent, do I really hvae to hear every crunch of super hard granola?! Drives me nuts, eat breakfast at home or find a quieter
    cereal! And yes we are about 2 ft from each other.

Jealous of those with offices.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Time to gift a neighbor with chewy granola bars! Or a box of oatmeal packets.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

My least favorite time of day is chips o'clock. Crinkle crinkle crunch crunch crunch.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

I worked in a open plan area with cubicles among my and opposite unit's teams. It meant at least 15-18 people daily! Hated it as could hear the morning slurps on their coffees/teas, cracks on their crunchy bars, and yes!!! Chips!

Turning off my hearing aids was a real blessing in those times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Buy yourself some earplugs or put in your headphones-ahhhhh bliss on demand...
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I dealt with that by putting a CD on.
    DS 6/09

LOL, glad I'm not alone. Problem is he is my direct report so I can't tune him out, what if he has a legit question! The other annoying thing he does is yawn non stop, is that some sort of condition? Maybe the active granola crunching is to help him stay awake. So miss personal space.

Quote Originally Posted by pb&j View Post
    My least favorite time of day is chips o'clock. Crinkle crinkle crunch crunch crunch.
    haha, chips o'clock

Ugh. My office changed to open workspaces about six month ago. And I can't stand it. No privacy. None. And I feel like everyone is judging everything that goes in your mouth. And that's not a dig at you, OP, because I think you're on point. I find that I'm going out more at lunch (and spending money!) because I don't want to offend anyone with what I'm eating.

I agree that lots of people here work in earphones, although I don't. The whole idea of open work spaces (decision made by people with offices) was "collaboration," yet 75% of the people are wearing earphones. I actually have gone out to my car to when I need to interview someone for a story because it can get too loud in here. Ridiculous.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Ugh. My office changed to open workspaces about six month ago. And I can't stand it. No privacy. None. And I feel like everyone is judging everything that goes in your mouth. And that's not a dig at you, OP, because I think you're on point. I find that I'm going out more at lunch (and spending money!) because I don't want to offend anyone with what I'm eating.

I agree that lots of people here work in earphones, although I don't. The whole idea of open work spaces (decision made by people with offices) was "collaboration," yet 75% of the people are wearing earphones. I actually have gone out to my car to when I need to interview someone for a story because it can get too loud in here. Ridiculous.
    I hear you, I mean sometimes Open Plan seems to be just against human civility, we are not meant to be so close to each other! I admit to being somewhat an introvert and sensitive to noise, but some people are just clueless and chomp away (if you are worried about it I highly doubt you fall into that category). Like let me chew this loud granola to submission for 30 minutes straight, 3x a day seems like something someone should be conscious of. Also headphones don't really go over well here, so not an option. Ear plugs would be easier but then if someone stops by to chat, then you'll be one of those people who are not responsive!

ETA: and the crunching has started, seriously gives me anxiety. Crunch, crunch, cruch
    Last edited by janine; 06-01-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast