Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Character Meals and prices? (California) Is it Worth the price??

Can you tell me about the different Character Meals at either Disneyland, CA Adventure or resorts? Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences (good or bad).

And does anyone have prices for each? I want to take the kids to a character meal but in looking online, I can't seem to find the actual prices. It just gives me a range (i.e. $30-$60 per adult). That's a huge price difference. Does anyone have a list of all the character meals and what their prices may be for kids and adults as well as breakfast, lunch and dinner?

TIA!!!
    Last edited by ckso; 06-18-2015 at 03:17 AM.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think the prices vary depending on adult/child and breakfast, lunch or dinner. I know when we looked into goofy's kitchen for dinner recently the adult price was high (60 maybe?) I think when you enter a reservation time it tells you the cost for each person.

A few brief caveats, we're vegetarians, we go to WDW all the time, and sometimes I am a food snob.

DCA has Ariel's which is a character meal for breakfast and lunch. I can't remember what I paid in 2013 for 1 adult and 1 child, but I can try to track down the bill. The meal is 5 princesses. (We had Aurora as a greeter, Belle, Ariel, Snow White and Cindy.) Aurora and Belle were great. Snow White seemed like she was dialing it in. The food was surprisingly good, it tasted better than any of the princess meals in WDW. (and I've done Cindy's at her Castle and at Citricos and Aksherus for lunch+dinner. Though Cindys@Citrico included alcohol which is always a plus.) I'd prob do it again, because DD loves princesses and most of the princesses don't have FP+ or even FP like at WDW.

MK has Minnie's character breakfast. I think it was cheaper than any other character meal. Minnie and a huge range of characters are there. There were at least 10+ characters when we were there but the rotation was terrible and they kept skipping our table outside. The food was barely edible, I'm taking it was McDonald's breakfast level. If you're happy to eat at McDonald's, but pay like $30 for an adult to meet characters, it's good because it has so many characters. I would suggest trying to eat inside, don't do an outside table unless the outside is also completely full, otherwise you will be forgotten. I think we got skipped because we were one of the only families outside. I had to complain 2x to a hostess to get characters, which is annoying. The characters felt very random. I want to say we had Minnie, Fair Godmother, Suzy or Perla? Max Goofy's son, the bad guy fox from Pinnochio, Tigger, Chip, Dale, and I am pretty sure there were others.

There is a character meal at the Grand Californian hotel, the StoryTellers Cafe. I think it is woodland animal themed and is Chip, Dale, a bear from Brother Bear, and someone else? I've not eaten there but have heard the food is good.

There is Goofys at Disneyland hotel. It was expensive, but if you go for Brunch so it covers breakfast and lunch or for dinner you can maybe get your money's worth? We had Goofy, Alice, Aladdin, Baloo, Daisy, the White Rabbit and maybe more? It seemed to have a lot of characters.

There is a Mickey themed meal at Paradise Pier Hotel. I've never tried it but have heard good things about it. (We tend to eat at Goofy's because we stayed at the DLH, but next trip we might try Paradise Pier.)

In general, all the character meals in CA are much easier to book than in FL and you can book them a month or often less out. I also like that 3 of them are in hotels, so if you're not planning to visit a park that day, you can still do a meal. For WDW, a lot of the character meals are in the parks.
    Mother to DD 10/2010

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So is it worth the price?

lalasmama, would love to get your input as well.

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Character Meals and prices? (California) Is it Worth the price??

"Worth the price" is not what I normally think of when it comes to anything Disney. But, there's a window of time you are in a park and you have small kids who would enjoy interacting with characters without standing in line.. So no, no meal is really worth hundreds of dollars, but the experience is fun for some. You may be able to google or click on the menu when making reservations, at least you can see the menus in the wdw website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ckso View Post

For me, with a 4.5 year old Ariel's is worth the money. I like meeting the 5 princesses within 1 hour and not having to wait in any lines, plus we get food. The food wasn't bad and we would be spending something on food anyway.

Minnie's was not worth it because the food was barely edible and unless you are inside, the characters consistently skip the outside tables on rotation. (I read I was not the only person with that problem on AllEars)

The food at Storytellers might be good, but the characters aren't exciting enough for us to pay so much money to eat there.

We're prob skipping Goofy's. The characters are nice but it is expensive.

We might do the Paradise Pier one this trip on a non park day. Mickey can get a long line and DD likes meeting Mickey every trip.

We'd prob do breakfast, since breakfast is cheaper than dinner or lunch.
    Mother to DD 10/2010

It's a bugger of a day at work, but I promise I will weigh in tonight (with prices and common character lists )
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Can you tell me about the different Character Meals at either Disneyland, CA Adventure or resorts? Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences (good or bad).

And does anyone have prices for each? I want to take the kids to a character meal but in looking online, I can't seem to find the actual prices. It just gives me a range (i.e. $30-$60 per adult). That's a huge price difference. Does anyone have a list of all the character meals and what their prices may be for kids and adults as well as breakfast, lunch and dinner?
    There's 5 character meal spots, two in the parks (Breakfast in the Park with Minnie and Friends [Plaza Inn at DL], Ariel's Grotto [Ariel's Grotto in DCA]), and one at each resort location (Story Tellers at Grand Californian, Goofy's Kitchen at DL Hotel, and Surf's Up! Breakfast with Mickey and Friends at Paradise Pier). Here's a *quick* breakdown of each: (adult price, kid price)

Minnie at Plaza: Breakfast only for characters. Buffet. $30, $14. Characters vary, but most often you will see Minnie, Chip-N-Dale, Tigger, Captain Hook, Fairy Godmother, and Rafiki.

Ariel: Breakfast: $37, 20. Lunch: $40, $23. Individual meals (no buffet). Always Ariel, but other princesses will vary. They will not promise any certain princesses beyond Ariel here. No characters at dinner.

Story Tellers: Breakfast: $30, $14 for buffet. Chip-N-Dale, Pluto, and often Koda (??) from Brother Bear. Other characters vary.

Goofy: Brunch: $33, 17. Buffet. Dinner: $39, $17. Always: Goofy, Chip-N-Dale, Minnie, and Pluto. Rotation is standardized.

Surf's Up: Breakfast: $33, $17. Buffet. Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, and likely Chip-N-Dale, though they may rotate.

Disclaimer: These *should* be the peak-season prices. wdwinfo.com used to list prices as peak and non-peak, and apparently don't differentiate anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    "Worth the price" is not what I normally think of when it comes to anything Disney. But, there's a window of time you are in a park and you have small kids who would enjoy interacting with characters without standing in line.. So no, no meal is really worth hundreds of dollars, but the experience is fun for some. You may be able to google or click on the menu when making reservations, at least you can see the menus in the wdw website.

My personal feeling is that it depends on each family if it's "worth it" or not. For our family? NO WAY. But, DD is incredibly distractible, even as an 11yo. We went to our first character meal when she was 8yo.... She would take a bite, then someone would walk up, and she would have to stop, greet, take a picture, then have to sit down, settle down, eat a bite, and there was another character that walked up. Holy cow, she ate like 1 Mickey waffle (like the size of an eggo waffle), 1 piece of fruit, and a glass of milk. She would have ate better for a 1/3 of the price at McDonalds, LOL!

Now, with 3 grandkids, we will do a character breakfast with them in 2 years when we take them. But... we know we're wasting money doing it, that the kids will barely eat, and that we're doing it all for the experience.

But, to be honest, we do Disneyland every time for the experience of it, not because it's a great value! I pay $220/night for a suite for the "luxury" experience (staying in a hotel and *not* sharing a room with DD? aaahhhhhhh-mazing!). I pay $60 for a sweatshirt to bring home something I can wear that reminds me of the trip. I pay $10 for breakfast at Starbucks because I like walking down Main Street on chilly morning with my hot cocoa and nana bread. I pay $10 for an over-cooked corndog because my poor, misled child believes that they are the best corndogs EVER because she never has corndogs anywhere else. .... And we pay outrageous amounts of $$$ for a character meal where my DD (and DGSs) will eat approximately 5 bites, all for the experience.

My general vote is "do it once" and go from there!
    --Mimi

I'll be there next week, so I can double check on the prices then.
    --Mimi

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rkold View Post
    For me, with a 4.5 year old Ariel's is worth the money. I like meeting the 5 princesses within 1 hour and not having to wait in any lines, plus we get food. The food wasn't bad and we would be spending something on food anyway.
    I totally agree!!!

For character meals, we have only done Ariel's Grotto at Disneyland. We did it last year, when DD was a little over 3. She is not your typical girly-girl who is gaga for princesses, but she LOVED IT. As PP said, it is nice to get to meet 5 princesses in 1 hour and not have to stand in line. And the food was not bad. Pricey, but i think the experience was worth it. I remember the kids getting a hotdog in the shape of a octopus (supposed to be like Ursula) which they thought was super cute. The desserts were AMAZING (and i'm a major dessert-snob!!). For the kids desserts i remember they had something simpler like Jello and a brownie which they both loved.

We are going to Disneyland again in November, and DD will be 4.5 then and we are totally going to do Ariel's again. I do think it is $$$ for a meal but i think it is worth it for the experience.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-18-2015 at 11:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast