Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help me think over new bike for DS

My DS is 7 years old. He's about 50" tall. His current bike is only a 16" bike. Its much too small for him. I bought it at Toys R Us as a gift when he was 4, he didnt learn to ride it without training wheels until he was 6. Then he rode the hell out of it last summer and now he's much too big for it (but still rides it).

So I brought him to a local bike shop yesterday to browse bikes. The guys there recommended this 24" Giant XTC Lite Jr bike. It looked pretty nice. It was a little too big for him, but they insisted that was the correct size. They said going smaller would mean he would outgrow the bike by next summer (I dont want to buy a new bike every summer!). It was $250.

I know next to nothing about bikes, but Giant seems to be a good name and $250 seems reasonable. I know bikes can go much higher. DH thinks I should go to Walmart and spend $99 on a new bike. I'm not sure thats the best course of action either. But DH always accuses me of needing top of the line stuff. LOL. I will admit that I dont go for the cheapest things. but I do like to look for a good deal.

So would you spend $250 on a kids bike? I found the same bike at another local bike shop and it was $300 there. Its my money I'd be spending, not DHs. We keep separate accounts and dont run all purchases by each other.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

24" seems so big! I might be tempted to find a cheap 20" bike for this summer and possibly next summer and then invest in a good quality 24" when he outgrows the 20".

ETA: Or really, get a cheap but decent (possibly used?) 20" bike then do the same for 24" until he gets into a full-size bike. A friend passed down her DD's 24" bike to my DD last year. We'll keep it for a few years until DD is ready for a women's bike and then pass it down to someone else. Kids go through bike sizes so quickly it's hard to justify spending a lot of money if you don't have to.
    Last edited by kristenk; 05-29-2015 at 11:02 AM.

I agree with PP. Personally I would go cheap (either Walmart or used) until he gets to a size he will be in for a longer time.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I wouldnt mind buying a used bike but I cant find any 20" ones on Craigslist to save my life. There are some, but they are either really crappy, or they are $100+
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    I wouldnt mind buying a used bike but I cant find any 20" ones on Craigslist to save my life. There are some, but they are either really crappy, or they are $100+
    If there are other bike shops or outdoor stores that rent bikes in your area, check there. They probably sell used bikes. There are more sources than Craig's List. Personally, I wouldn't buy a too big bike for a 7 year old. I might spend $250 for a bike he'd be in for a long time, but even DH and I bought our bikes used from an outdoor gear store, and when DS moved to the next size bike, well buy his used, too. Right now he's on the equivalent of a Walmart bike. It's just fine for him for this summer. He's needed a new bike every year, so we're staying under $100 until he'll have the bike for more than a single year.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are you on Facebook? How about posting to your friends that you're in search of a 20" bike for DS and see if anyone has anything? A lot of people would be more than willing to pass on a kids' bike to someone who's looking for one. I know that we passed down DD's bike she outgrew when we got the new one. I asked a friend if she wanted it for her younger daughter, but if she had said no, I was going to post it for friends.

Another thing on Facebook - a buy/sell/trade group in your area. Post an ISO 20" kids bike and see if you get any responses. It can't hurt and it's pretty easy to do.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is about the age when we started buying nicer bikes for DD. If he rides it a lot, I would go for it. Those heavy bikes are a pain to haul around IMO!

The good thing about a nice bike is that you can get back $$ when you sell it. There are several 20" bikes going for $80-100 on my CL but we're in a bike crazy area.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

At 50" he could easily be ready for a 24". DS1 and Ds2 have had 24" bikes for over a year and are 53-55" tall. DS3 has a 20", but he could move up and if I was buying him one now it would be 24". He is 50" tall and just turned 8.

The bike likely looks too big because you are so used to seeing him on a too small bike. Also, I have found that the better brands (Giant, Trek, Specialized, etc.) Are easier for them to ride when they move up a size compared to the store brand bikes at Target or Walmart.

I would go CL if you can find one.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

My DS is the same age as yours and about the same height (49") and we just switched him to a Jamis 20" bike. The 16" was way small for him, but I can't imagine going to a 24" right now - the 20" seems to have a lot of room to grow! I stalked CL for a long time (hence the way too small 16" ) and finally found this bike for $40. I have had good luck placing ISO ads on Craigslist and Facebook b/s/t groups, but that isn't how I've gotten the best deals. So far we've purchased all of our kids bikes used on CL, and resold them the same way when they are outgrown, and we recoup almost all of the cost that way. Good luck!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Well I will keep looking. I think I will also bring him back to the store and have him try RIDING the 24" bike. We didnt have time yesterday. but they did say he could try it out in the parking lot across the street (large and pretty empty at the time. So I will bring his helmet and see. I dont mind spending the money if he likes it, it will last 2+ years and he will actually ride it now. I'm just worried about spending the $250 on a bike and getting it home and him never riding it because he's scared he will fall.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast