Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD is now 53 inches, but last year (when she was 7) we were in a similar situation as you (she was shorter, can't recall how much). The 16 inch one was too small, the bike shop told me to get the 24 inch one but it looked huge. We ended up getting a Trek 20 inch one. She looks fine on it now. I know that she will outgrow it probably by next year but there is a market to resell them.
    IF he rides bikes a lot, I would not get a Walmart one personally. My DD bikerides every day, and we take bikes on trips. To me it has been worth its value many times over already.

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well I just rechecked Craigslist and found a Giant MTX 125 boys bike 20" for $50. So I am waiting to hear back if its still available. Glad I rechecked! There is also a 24" TREK MT60
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Well I just rechecked Craigslist and found a Giant MTX 125 boys bike 20" for $50. So I am waiting to hear back if its still available. Glad I rechecked! There is also a 24" TREK MT60

I would probably buy them both if you have room to store them and they are a good price.

Just to clarify my earlier post, for $50 I would do a 20" if that's what he feels comfortable with, but I would not spend $250 on a 20". Having him ride the 24" is a good idea if you can swing it before deciding for sure, but honestly, you could likely turn around and re-sell that Giant for the same price if you change your mind.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Well I will keep looking. I think I will also bring him back to the store and have him try RIDING the 24" bike. We didnt have time yesterday. but they did say he could try it out in the parking lot across the street (large and pretty empty at the time. So I will bring his helmet and see. I dont mind spending the money if he likes it, it will last 2+ years and he will actually ride it now. I'm just worried about spending the $250 on a bike and getting it home and him never riding it because he's scared he will fall.
    Just make sure he can touch the ground while sitting - that's what we have always done with DD and she transitions to bigger bikes no problem.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Good quality bikes practically ride themselves. I do think that a 24 inch is too big for a 50 inch kid. My ds just switched to a 24 inch and he's probably 55 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree about getting the 20" in between bike. We got DS a new-to-him bike at 7 to replace his 16" bike, and he'd been trying to ride a 24" one at my mom's that was just too big. I did have to haunt craigslist for several weeks to find him a decent brand, but ended up with a 20" Specialized 6-speed for $95. I do remember it being really hard to find. I suspect that this size is actually pretty popular and goes fast! I personally would have a really hard time buying my kids $250 bikes when I know they're going to outgrow them so quickly. For the amount we ride bikes, the $50 16" ones from Walmart have been fine starter bikes for mine when they turn four. We live in a very hilly/mountainous region, so they're not riding bikes to the park, etc, like I used to when I was a kid. It's pretty much just around our culdesac or occasionally out in the street at a friend's house. $250 would be overkill for us!
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'd pick up the Trek, too. We have that model and its fantastic.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Well the craigslist people never got back to me. I know I haven't even waited a day! But I brought DS back to try out the 24" bike at the store. He was a little nervous on it but we bought it anyway and he spent most of the late afternoon/evening riding around the neighborhood on it. He loves it! Now my DD who is older and slightly taller wants a bigger bike too. This is a slippery slope!
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Khalloc, if I remember correctly you are not far from me. If your DS keeps the bike in decent shape, you'll be able to resell it at one of the bike swaps held in early May for at least $100 when he outgrows it.

DS LOVES his bike! He was out in the garage at 7am Saturday morning just looking at it. LOL! Of course DD wanted a new bike too and yesterday I saw one just posted on Craigslist. It was also a 24" bike and was a Giant Areva, 1 model up from DSs so it had the front shock and front gears. It was only 3 years old. I went to see it this morning and it was in perfect shape for only $75! So Iicked that up too and now we have 2 new bikes for the kids and everyone seems happy. I can definitely sell the bikes in a couple of years and recoup some $$!
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast