Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Any update?
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Any update?
    Yeah no response. Sigh.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Good luck today!

day was a fiasco.
    The head of counseling is leaving the school (and I really like him)
    Turns out DS2's perm temp teacher (new teacher since Feb when perm teacher went on mat leave) had not seen/did not KNOW DS2 had a 504 (which makes me crazy mad AND it also makes a lot more sense)
    Think DS2 is stuck with a 504 again -- the neuropsych eval says he is "making effective progress" which is part of the standard (only to later say he needs an IEP). Time to get a new private eval
    Also found out our neighbor's kids are on an IEP and she didn't even have to ask for one -- SO in some ways (oddly) this makes me feel better

I need to think and process but this is the update.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Ugh, I'm sorry.

So was this a meeting to determine IEP eligibility?
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Ugh, I'm sorry.

So was this a meeting to determine IEP eligibility?
    Turns out it was (they had the flow chart etc) and since his neuro eval says he is making "effective progress" and since he did very well in all his assessments by the teacher he is apparently not eligible. I am exhausted today ...
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Sorry the meeting didn't go as planned. Going forward, when DS gets a new teacher, please contact them re 504 plan and how to deal with behavior. It's not your job and you shouldn't have to inform the teacher, but from what I've seen, the parent does need to, otherwise things get missed or not communicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Sorry the meeting didn't go as planned. Going forward, when DS gets a new teacher, please contact them re 504 plan and how to deal with behavior. It's not your job and you shouldn't have to inform the teacher, but from what I've seen, the parent does need to, otherwise things get missed or not communicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yup totally agree sigh live and learn
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just saw this and seconding the ugh! It is not you -- so many schools operate on a wait to fail model. Some you have to fail so severely it is unlikely the child will ever catch back up.

Next go around I would bring the neuropsych to the meeting to explain his/her perspective and to advocate. I think there is a big difference between making adequate progress due to 4-6 tutoring/therapy appointments per week versus making progress as a typical student without those private supports -- and there is law to support that as well. Also did your neuropsych evaluate written expression? That seems to me to be a likely area of issues based on what you have described and it would NOT nec. be captured by a reading test, a spelling test in isolation, or even the OT print tool/write the letters and copy the shapes test.

I would also arrange with the school for your son to receive some of these services during school hours. Get a doctor's note and pull him out each week. It is not fair to him to have such a grossly extended school day. My son has not been to school art class in almost year for private SLP but you know what, he can speak clearly now, it was worth it!!
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2